Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What a load of S#@! for 2006

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005 | 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default What a load of S#@! for 2006

Kinda funny, went to a dealer with my buddy and I bought my Scrambler and he bought a KFX 700. I will say the Kawa has quite a bit more power than my 500. I will also say it's missing a pull-start, it's missing AWD, it's missing durable and flexible plastic, it's missing the Cadillac ride of a Scrambler, it's missing full footboards and fenders (two people have fallen off the pegs so far), it's missing the badass mud tires, the handlebar grips eat you alive, and there's some quality control issues as well. We had to adjust the idle and take the choke cable out of the loom so that it wouldn't cut off when he turned left.

Personally I think Polaris is testing out the new EFI 500 on the Sportsman. If there's a problem and they have to do a recall, it's better for them to only recall one line of bikes. If all goes well, I'm sure we'll see it in the Scramblers in a year or two.

I wouldn't jump ship just yet. (Oooh, jumping a ship could be fun though! Who will help me build a ramp?) Development and proving reliability takes time.

Anyway, he hates trails. Says he wants to go fast. I like having to stand tip-toe on the back rack squeezing the throttle with the wrong hand to creep it through a tricky section of trail just to hit the jump at the end. Both bikes have their strong points but I'll take my Scrammy any day.

Old 07-23-2005 | 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

trailrider500,

Yes, the Trail Boss could look better. My friend has the Yam Big Bear, and I like the Boss look better.

Old 07-23-2005 | 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

The truth is Sportsmans are doing better in sales then exspected and more people want them because of there power, and the use you can get out of them, plus its just as fast as a scrammy. I as a scrammy owner am also dissipointed. Not only about this EFI engin thing but it is about time for a new scrammy. I mean if you can take a 05 scrammy plastic and put it on a 96 scrammy, well come on. It is time for a change, not just in graghics but all around. To be honest the trail boss and the scrammy both could be upgraded and changed. Its like the sportsmans are getting all of the attention.

Old 07-23-2005 | 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

And another thing well were on the topic. They could change the trailblazer to. You no now that i think, all polaris did for 05 was change plastic/graphics on the scrammy, trail B, and the trail Blazer. Its the same situation for all three. I mean WTF if there gonna start a new quad and not change the old ones they might as well start making the sport again as well.

Old 07-24-2005 | 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

I was at there 50th anversery last year an thought the 250 2 stroke was gone for 2006. I am happy to see it still there it is a good strong motor an can get some great mods for it. I would have loved to see an new 450 sport quad. I feel there is one coming just need to wait. I will guess will have a KTM motor. I will still be a polaris fan my 03 pred is still going strong an been racing it for 2 season an no problems no broke frame or gear problems. I would like to see what they are working on at there new R&D an testing place in wyoming.

Old 07-24-2005 | 01:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kevin108
Kinda funny, went to a dealer with my buddy and I bought my Scrambler and he bought a KFX 700. I will say the Kawa has quite a bit more power than my 500. I will also say it's missing a pull-start, it's missing AWD, it's missing durable and flexible plastic, it's missing the Cadillac ride of a Scrambler, it's missing full footboards and fenders (two people have fallen off the pegs so far), it's missing the badass mud tires, the handlebar grips eat you alive, and there's some quality control issues as well. We had to adjust the idle and take the choke cable out of the loom so that it wouldn't cut off when he turned left.

Personally I think Polaris is testing out the new EFI 500 on the Sportsman. If there's a problem and they have to do a recall, it's better for them to only recall one line of bikes. If all goes well, I'm sure we'll see it in the Scramblers in a year or two.

I wouldn't jump ship just yet. (Oooh, jumping a ship could be fun though! Who will help me build a ramp?) Development and proving reliability takes time.

Anyway, he hates trails. Says he wants to go fast. I like having to stand tip-toe on the back rack squeezing the throttle with the wrong hand to creep it through a tricky section of trail just to hit the jump at the end. Both bikes have their strong points but I'll take my Scrammy any day.
maybe there'll be a 06.5 scrambler EFI update

Old 07-24-2005 | 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

that lead us far away into the market again this year,i'm still happy
of what they come up with but they tend to introduce their model for
too long yet,i think they will dive into the race breed bike only
with time and a lot of updates on the predator lines then,i do still
think an auto tranny polaris with happy 2 stroke motor is a great idea
for uncompromising power response and never ending ride time.

Old 07-24-2005 | 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Okay guys, listen up. I just got back from the show. I rode everything you guys are bitching and whining about.

The 500 predator can't be made into a YFZ 450 killer. The engine itself is too large and too heavy. It could never shed enough weight to make it truly competitive downsized to a 450.

Maybe KTM can supply an engine for them sometime in the future, but Polaris simply does not have the motor building experience to make a super light MX type engine. Maybe KTM can help them, but the predator engine isn't it.

The only hope for a YFZ killer is going to be the 450 Suzuki, and nobody knows much about it yet.
Face it, Polarises are heavy, period. And that means Not competitive in MX.
I can't seem to lose weight either...pass me a doughnut...

Only 8% of sport quad owners actually race. SO they could have gone the other way, super-sized it, bored it out and made a 600 or 700 out of it, and they may yet. But a radical new chassis design, a sport with irs, serves up a nice ride for the remaining 92% of sport quad riders wanting a smoother ride and better ground clearance.

The Outlaw is going to work very nicely in rough, fast trail riding, and that's what most of us do. Out west, deserts and rocky mountain trails, the Outlaw should work very nicely. It could do very well in the GNCC.

I do think the Outlaw is going to be the scrambler replacement. A 650 Outlaw would compete directly with the Raptor and DS. The new 500 Outlaw will do pretty well as is. If you need it to live up to scrambler specifications,,,600 lbs, can't jump without breaking the transmission case, and an auto tranny 'cause you're too lazy to shift....stop kidding yourself, you don't belong on a sport quad.

I bet the new 500 efi sportsman will beat a scrambler 4x4 at anything.

There will be suspension upgrades for the Outlaw, like different sway bars, and rezzies are available for the front shocks. I rode it, I liked it. I will be getting one and riding it. I expect to lower it , by backing off on the preload, and put a stiffer sway bar on it. It is a revolutionary design.

IRS is a proven feature in virtually every competitive motorsport from Trophy trucks to Formula I. It's all about tuning the suspension to do what you want it to.

The Sawtooth IS A PHOENIX with utility plastic and racks, is made by Aeon in Taiwan,,,,yawn.

The Hawkeye is made in the USA and will compete nicely against the Ozark and Recon. Really nice little quad. IT looks small, but feels great. Didn't have a chance to open it up, the track was pretty small, they said it would go about 45 mph.

The 450 is just a 425 (400 sportsman) with a 500 crank, rod and cam.,,,,,yawn. no ebs.

The 500 efi totally rips,,,,I couldn't believe the performance difference, along with altitude compensating etc, this makes the always great sportsman 500 into an even better, way better machine.

I didn't ride the X2, the line was too long. The back seat is clever and versitile, but not as comfortable as the Bombardiers. But these were prototypes, and the production models may be much better. The combination of locking independent rear differential, dump bed, efi, "back brake" front differential, and convertible 2 seater, 6 gallon gas tank, with only a 6" stretch in wheelbase is all very impressive...at $7800, it better be.

Old 07-25-2005 | 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fourlix
I do think the Outlaw is going to be the scrambler replacement. A 650 Outlaw would compete directly with the Raptor and DS. The new 500 Outlaw will do pretty well as is. If you need it to live up to scrambler specifications,,,600 lbs, can't jump without breaking the transmission case, and an auto tranny 'cause you're too lazy to shift....stop kidding yourself, you don't belong on a sport quad.

I bet the new 500 efi sportsman will beat a scrambler 4x4 at anything.
Funny I jump my scrambler alot higher and further than any sport quad riders around here and Im not lazy, its just a nice UPGRADE to having to shift all the time. It can't replace the scrambler unless it is 4x4! that is the whole point of the scrambler being as good as it is! Its the best sport 4x4 by far! There is nothing else even close! If they stop making the scrambler or a 4x4 sport quad, I will just have to buy from someone who does. Polaris would be really stupid to replace it with a 2 wheel drive model.

Old 07-25-2005 | 04:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

fourlix quotes- "Only 8% of sport quad owners actually race. SO they could have gone the other way, super-sized it, bored it out and made a 600 or 700 out of it, and they may yet. But a radical new chassis design, a sport with irs, serves up a nice ride for the remaining 92% of sport quad riders wanting a smoother ride and better ground clearance.

The Outlaw is going to work very nicely in rough, fast trail riding, and that's what most of us do. Out west, deserts and rocky mountain trails, the Outlaw should work very nicely. It could do very well in the GNCC. "

GOOD POINT!!!

Quick Reply: What a load of S#@! for 2006