Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

More info on the Outlaw!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More info on the Outlaw!!

The Outlaw features a near-identical engine that drives the three-year-old Predator. It is a 500, but there is a difference. But we'll get into that later. And, for a full first ride report and all the details, make sure to grab the October issue of ATV Sport. Including, how we thought it matched up to the straight axle Predator and how we thought IRS performed on a sport quad.

ATV Sport
Take a gander at the rear chain setup, two stabilizer torsion bars on both sides of the IRS, a center-mount exhaust, steel shaft drive on either side and Fox Shox that are a trademark of the Predator TLD are now on the Outlaw.
Here's what you need to know: IRS shoots ground clearance up to 11.5 inches. Wow! While the ground clearance goes to insane heights for a sport quad, a center-mounted exhaust was put in due to the new height.

The Outlaw remains shaft drive, utilizing two steel shafts on either side of the left center-mounted sprocket and right center-mounted brake rotor. Speaking of the sprocket, riders will still have the capability of swapping it out to add a larger-toothed sprocket. Also, Polaris says chain adjustment will be as easy on the Outlaw as its cousin the Predator. As for the brakes, the Outlaw utilizes front and rear hydraulic disc brakes.

It delivers 10 inches of suspension travel and the PRO IRS system was designed with lightweight aluminum components. But, don't get us wrong, the dry weight does go up to 439 pounds due to the bulk of IRS. Polaris does say that its focus is not on the motocross track like the majority of its major competitors to rationalize the dry weight. Why not focus on motocross? Because the Minnesota-based company just started a unprecedented contingency effort in the GNCC series in 2005. And, with Matt Smiley as its lone factory rider, Polaris wanted to build its name on cross-country tracks and with trail riders. Smiley was also heavily involved in the R&D and testing while the Outlaw was in development.

To help keep the IRS in check at high speeds, two torsion bars were added on both sides of the rear suspension system. The torsion bars aid in high-speed cornering and fight off gnarly gut-jarring rock hits.

ATV Sport
A closer look at the rear setup. Notice the CV boot near the chain. On the Outlaw four boots are located aft.
Also, Polaris says this IRS system is not just a Sportsman suspension thrown onto a sport quad. It was designed for high-speed applications.

Due to the newly acquired weight in the rear, the battery was moved up to the very front of the quad underneath the nose of the plastic. Remote charging terminals were added to make maintenance easier. Also, the fuel pump was moved to the front as well.

Up front, the A-arms are an industry-first: straight. That's because the front end was canted up around 7 degrees to help aid in the overall stability with IRS in back. Fully adjustable and rebuildable front Fox Shox were also added. And, like the Predator, the PRO system results in virtually no bump steer.

ATV Sport
Notice, the ignition was moved off the handlebar clamp to the center of the front plastic. Also, the right thumb-operated reverse lever makes accessing reverse gear easier. There is also an illuminated pod up front that tells the rider what gear they are in. The choke was moved off the handlebars, too.
The handlebars were designed for ease of use, removing the ignition off the handlebar clamp and onto the plastic. The choke was also moved down to a left-side location. Polaris says this is to make swapping out handlebars easier. To make utilizing reverse a breeze, the reverse **** was nixed in favor of a handlebar-mounted right-thumb lever.

The IRS system keeps the rear in contact with the ground more, and that means more work for the Dunlop radial tires all around. No, the Outlaw doesn't ride on Maxxis tires like the Predator.

Now, on to the heart that drives the Outlaw: the engine. The beating chest of the Outlaw will be familiar to anyone that has ridden a Predator. A 5-speed manual transmission drives the 499cc engine. The lag between fourth and fifth gear was tightened on the Outlaw, though. And, that's the main difference. That, and a lower fifth gear results in a loss of 2-3 MPH on the top end on the Outlaw compared to the Predator.

ATV Sport
Notice the smooth plastic lines near the Outlaw decal. That's a change from the Predator. Also, the seat profile has been adjusted on the Outlaw.
Finally, Polaris changed the seat profile on the Outlaw, which is narrow up front and wider in back compared to the Predator.

The rear end of the quad might look crazy and ultra-different to those used to the traditional sport-quad look, but debuting IRS was a big risk worth taking for Polaris looking to improve sport quad riding.

Predator Troy Lee Designs, Predator 500

Old 07-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent information. It certainly makes me want to take a test ride when they come out! The video on Polaris' web site definitely shows off the suspension. Notice how much they show it sliding? That was one of the fears people had; could it slide in turns? Yes it can!

I know I am in the minority hear. But, I like the look of the tail end. Although, it's not the center mounted exhaust that is annoying. It is the fact that the tail light is cut in half by the grab bar. I would like to see an aftermarket grab bar that is elevated above it a bit.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Range Rover

There will also be different torsion bars you can get (stiffer/softer) to suit your riding preferance/conditions. The chain adjustment is simple, but it won't be neccasary after initial break in as the chain isn't under as much stress without the suspension taxing it. The new reverse setup is slick; you never have to take your hands off the bars. The lever is right under throttle, almost looks like a metal choke lever or something.

Guys, don't write this thing off until you ride it. Also, don't be surprises to see Matt Smiley on it next season.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

I am sure being that he is a factory rider, and had a hand in the R&D, he will definatly be on it. I am sure it will have some bug to work out, like all first year bikes, but I think its gonna be alright.

Old 07-24-2005, 02:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was waiting to see what the outlaw was, in hopes of replacement to the loved preddy, but I do have some mixed feelings about it...I am just going to have to test ride it when it comes out...does anyone know how it jumps?? thought MAYBE someone on here might have had a pre-released ride

Old 07-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

It's obvious that Polaris isn't going after a MX type quad. Lets face it, how many of us really race MX? I bet for every 100 sport quads sold only 1 is for MX racing and the rest are want-a-be's. I see many 450r's and YFZ out on the trails not even coming close to useing there full potential. In fact many are much slower and are parked a lot as there watching everyone else ride. To me most get them as a statice symbol rather then what they should of got. Polaris is going after the practical side of things. A very comfy ride, plenty of power, e-start, and reverse. I'm sure we will see some at the GNCC races and it sounds like Smiley will race one. Smiley won't risk losing if he doesn't think it will work great. I guess we will all see in Sep if he will race it or not. I don't drag race much but I love flying through the trees and IMHO I think this set-up will make me much faster then with a SRA. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: MnFriesen
I was waiting to see what the outlaw was, in hopes of replacement to the loved preddy, but I do have some mixed feelings about it...I am just going to have to test ride it when it comes out...does anyone know how it jumps?? thought MAYBE someone on here might have had a pre-released ride
Well it's not a replacement for the Predator. There always will be a huge market for straight axle sport quads. However, the thing is a blast. Yes it slides, and no not as easy as a straight axle. It will definitely take a modifed riding style. It jumps just fine. I think better. You can hit uneven jumps and make uneven landings and the machine takes care of making up the difference.

And while this is different, remember, a few years ago everyone said you couldn't put a 4-stroke in a fast quad because it was too heavy, slow revving, and didn't put out as much power. Look at them now... Give it a chance.