Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trail mod...race mod... Whats all this crap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:53 PM
RJF
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail mod...race mod... Whats all this crap?

I've heard all this jargon lately of "trail mods" and "race mods"....I presume this is with the 400 two stroke?

Thats all fine and dandy but what about the 500HO guys? Do WE have trail mods and race mod setups? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I've only been into ATV's for about two years and Scramblers for about 9 months, only have owned my '04 500HO for about 2.5 months.

This will also help me with the snowmobile jargon, since they are two strokes like the 400. I have been a sledder for years but have never gotten into modifications because all I've ever seen was the Phaser guys from the 80's/90's melt the 485cc motors after "piping" and everything else.

Another big thing. Are all these modifications actually reliable at all? With my sled, clutching has always been the thing I've been most worried about. with a pipe it has to be reclutched, sounds like a PITA.

Bear with me, I've never "clutched" or "jetted" anything before but should be able (hopefully) to pick up fairly quick because I'm a diesel mechanic and know my way around a wrench.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Mainly just looking for a good "2 &4 stroke hi perfromance 101" thread going for us newbies....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a good link to find out the diff between "Race" and "Trail" mods. They also have dyno charts.

HPD Race and Trail mod Specs

Old 09-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

The scrambler 500 can be modded and is very reliable! Depending on how much you are looking to put into it you can get very nice results. It still will not be as fast as a 400 that has been nicely modded but since it is a 4 stroke you don't have to worry as much about the top end, and piston.

You could start off by looking at everyones sigs that have a scrambler 500 and see what moddes they have. Then go from there.

I like HPD and would highly recomend any of there products.

As for the "trail mods" and "Race mods" those are different mods for the 2 strokes only [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

As for reclutching after a pipe, the 4 strokes are alot different in relations between the two. You pipe for more throttle response and HP. You set your clutch up on how you ride. With a 2 stroke you would find your peak HP that you Pipe and other mods give you and try to clutch it to stay as close to those rpms as you can when shifting out.

I recomend an HPD clutch kit and a HPD pipe unless you need a spark arrester, then go with the white bros. slip on.

Other mods for the 500 scrambler that are nice!
Roller secondary clutch
HPD air box mod(comes with jets and everything you need)
HPD chain tensioner(if you jump alot)

That should be a good start!

Old 09-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

I also have some pics of my mods and an instuction pic for clutch work on the 500 scrambler that I made. There is pics of how to install a tach, chain tensioner, and pics of the airbox mod.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:56 AM
RJF
Range Rover

Good info both of you guys, I learned a lot from the HPD website and from the clutch diagram.

So is 85HP a lot with the race mod? I'm used to sleds. I remember looking at a few different kits for my 800cc Vertical Escape sled, 140HP stock and with a 910 big bore I could make it put out around 180HP.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

What kind of quarter mile will a 400 scrambler with an 85HP setup run?

Old 09-08-2005, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

85 horsepower is very good for a quad. For a sled probably just respectable. I've not ever done a 1/4 mile time so I can't say. I'm just a dunner pretty much.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

85 hp is very good for a quad, the 450s dont even put out 50 hp stock.

The stock 400 and 500 are both around 38 hp.
The 500 can be modded up to about 50 hp max without doing some major internal work.
The 400 with only porting etc. (like in my signature) will put out 50 -55 hp and easily modded to put out 80 + like dunes Race mod and others running alky.

Jim

also see...

www.aaenperformance.com

www.hotseatperformance.com

www.hpd-inc.com

http://rittercycle.com/polaris.htm

Old 09-08-2005, 02:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

85hp Would be a blast to ride...

RJF, Your sled has less than 85hp when your riding at 6000ft. 140hp is at sea level. If you go with a Slp single on your sled Slp tells you exactly what to run for clutching and jetting..

My roomate put a Hot seat Speed kit on his Scrambler and it came with all the clutching and jetting.. Made it really simple and made a huge differance.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

RJF, Do some resarch and make some calls there are alo of companies that will sell you parts but cna't tell you what to run for clutching and jetting which is bull they shouldn't be selling anything if thats the case. All of our ATV pipe kits come with installation instructions, jetting, and clutching suggestions. We send out the same stuff with all of our sno products as well. (with the sno-stuff we just send jetting specs not the acctuall jets). Keep in mind that when ever you do any type of mod like this you are going to have to change your clutching to see the machines full potential. Our tech lines our open 8-5 m-f cst. and we are on the forums pretty much every day so we are really easy to get a hold of if you need to.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:04 PM
RJF
Range Rover

Originally posted by: ChaddB
85hp Would be a blast to ride...

RJF, Your sled has less than 85hp when your riding at 6000ft. 140hp is at sea level. If you go with a Slp single on your sled Slp tells you exactly what to run for clutching and jetting..
My sled isn't set up for sea level, 5K-9K elevation. I don't think half of the engine's power is lost at higher elevations, that sounds a little steep to me. Especially when it jetted for the higher elevations. Maybe not though, I haven't done a lot of research with 2 strokes during elevation change. I do know that no where near 1/2 power is lost with a 4 stroke. My guess is I am loosing maybe 25HP max at say 5,500 feet. Regardless, my sled still only weighs 478lbs dry, about 100 lbs lighter than my Scrambler. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

But anyway, power on the snow is a whole different game than ATV's...total kick in the pants!

Quick Reply: Trail mod...race mod... Whats all this crap?