Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

4 place trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 11:57 PM
Les
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good place to start would be to get the max towing weight of your blazer, add up the weight of the quads, and gear. Then you know how much trailer you need. I personaly would go with the bigger tires, at least 14", with the small blazer I would go with brakes on both axles. A larger tire will be easier to pull. I use a 18 1/2' homebuilt with 16" wheels, 6 quads will fit, real snug. Most times just 2 and my weight transfer sled.
Les
Northern nevada ATV Pullers

Old 10-25-2000, 05:01 AM
Pro Rider

Pulling a large car hauler type trailer with an S-10 Blazer for that long of a distance seems kind of overkill to me. You will suffer in mileage. Also pulling anymore than you have to in the mountains of Colorado will tax your vehicles drivetrain. I would recommend a transmission cooler no matter what you pull if you don't have one.
A snowmobile trailer for pulling quads is a good alternative. Contrary to what others have said I personally have encountered only minimal problems with tires. Inflation is the largest single problem concerning tire failure. Followed by overloading. Either situation will result in premature failure. (Caused by heat)
I use my trailer a lot. I pull the trailer weekly to my cabin with either 2 and sometime 3 quads and /or snowmobiles. I have also pulled it to Yellowstone multiple times at extended high speeds (85 to 90 mph)without problems. My present tires are the originals that came on the trailer. 20x8.5x10 rated for 1160 lbs each I believe. I estimate they have 25000+ miles on them and are ready for replacement.
Trailers, like any other piece of machinery require maintainance. If you grease your bearings, inspect and inflate your tires properly (and often) and properly distibute your load
a snowmobile trailer can be very convienient to use. Dont rule out snowmobile trailers. They are light, versatile, convienient and practical (especially if you snowmobile also)
If you are apprehensive about traveling long distances or high speeds, make sure the tires are in good shape and maybe carry an extra spare.

Old 10-25-2000, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

TRAILBOSS DITTO!!!!!CM

Old 10-25-2000, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Just a guess, but I would bet that your snowmobile trailer with one quad on it would be comparable to an empty car trailer. Weight varies so much, it is hard to say exactly, but I thing 900 to 1400 pounds should be close. Any trailer I ever saw had a paper with in when new telling its empty weight. I think it is a Nebraska law.

Old 10-25-2000, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

I had a 93 s 10 4x4 blazer 4.3 and they suck to pull anything. The tranny sucks you will never get into overdrive and it is recomended that u use drive only. i had a sled and atv on one and that is all i would dare pull with one of them as of no brakes on the trailer. And also get a reciver hitch the stock bumper sucks For the money i will get a light car trailer there more uses for them plus there easier to sell. Come and buy my sled bed. And i will get my trailer.

Old 10-25-2000, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you Trailboss.

That's the answering I was hoping for. The snowmobile trailer seems like the best idea to me. Room for 4 plus plenty of gear, or maybe even a 5th providing the axles and tires are rated appropriately. I'm a preventative maintenance nut, and I check trailer tire pressure two or three times each trip. Plus pack the bearings and replace if necessary at least once a year. Sounds like if I take care of it, the snowmo option should work for me.

NOW... Anyone have a used 8x16, tandem snowmo trailer for sale? :-)

Thanks for all your help.

-r