Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'05 700 EFI Error 51

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005 | 10:46 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default '05 700 EFI Error 51

Originally posted by: powerslider
Part of the problem right now with repairing these machines is the efi systems are fairly new to the dealers and their techs. The failures and the symptoms that come with those failures are just now being recognized/learned by the repair people so you need to be patient and work with them as best you can. Not everything is a cut and dried repair, the intermittent failures are the worst to find. It's also very important for us/you as owners to give as much accurate information about the failure and symptoms to the service people as you can. Talking directly to the tech is the best route if possible so they understand fully your concerns.

It's fair they installed your original ecm and gave the refund however I think they were entitled to the labor charge after all they spent time on it and need to make a living also. At the time it was their best guess and maybe was prescribed by Polaris tech support, if they can't duplicate the failure at the dealership it makes for a tough decision on what to do but something is better than nothing. The confusing part is why a shorting plug wire would throw the ecm failure code it did, that in itself sends you off in the wrong direction right off the bat.

I don't condone the service guy giving you a story, they need to be honest and more precise. You might consider trying to strike up a professional friendship with the tech/s to relay and receive more accurate information in the future as the manager/servicewriter may not know the full story.
I know these guys well, I bought 3 machines from them. I gave them very accurate information, I know what you are saying, but I'm an Operations Manager for Lockheed and previously the Engineering Manager and my degrees are in Electrical Engineering. I realize that intermittant problems are tough, but they BS'd me....he wasn't even going to put the old ECU back in to try it.....he said, 'I don't know what you want...I can put the old ECU back in and you can take it with you if you want it...'....I said 'doesn't it make sense to put the old one back in now that you found the plug wire shorted and try it?'....then he says that the ECU is bad, it had different codes and that it gives and error code 51 in the 2006 machine that they swapped it with.....no way....

Anyways, I talked directly with the mechanic the first time and he wouldn't tell me the price it was going to cost me when i talked to him on the phone, he said 'don't worry, you will be very pleased'.....please with a $6xx bill? no way, this situation 99% of the time would have had the people paying for the ECU which wasn't the problem....

fair is fair, but this wasn't fair, this was lies and poor skills....at work I have over 120 people working in my organization....Systems Engineers, Software Engineers, Project Engineers, Test Engineers, Computer Systems Engineers and I also have over 35 Maintenance Technicians....I would never let them do something like this, therefore I believe the dealer was covering up their errors and were not going to refund my money until I insisted that they install the old ECU and also after I called Polaris Support, who supposedly called the dealer......the dealer also was not going to give me the ECU, saying that they put it in the 2006 machine that they pulled the ECU out of to put in mine....I paid for the new one, yet they wouldn't give me my old one that I also owned....thats bad service....

they charged me over $6xx originally and then they knocked it down to a gracious $468 after they took 2.5 of the 3.5 hours of labor they charged for the wrong diagnosis....and he even told me they were showing a short somewhere.....even with the computer diagnostics, common sense would have told you that they needed to put the ECU back in after I took it in for the second time with the same problem and they found the plug wire.....but i had to insist and had to call Polaris....

Old 10-07-2005 | 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Not intending to rub salt in a wound here, again I don't agree with how they misled you. There's no reason for that, maybe you should shop for a new dealer. My comments were meant to be more generalized regarding the nature of the repair business, the last thing a reputable tech wants is repeat comebacks and disgruntled customers. If only we lived in a perfect world.....

Old 10-07-2005 | 11:58 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: powerslider
Not intending to rub salt in a wound here, again I don't agree with how they misled you. There's no reason for that, maybe you should shop for a new dealer. My comments were meant to be more generalized regarding the nature of the repair business, the last thing a reputable tech wants is repeat comebacks and disgruntled customers. If only we lived in a perfect world.....

I agree with you and I know what you meant.....if only every dealer was honest. We only have a few Polaris dealers and I trusted this one the most, although not very much. I'm limited on where I can take the machine, I would normally work on everything myself but I was right in the middle of my hunt and also guiding some hunters from New Hampshire, so not much time. The problem should have been easy to find with the right tools, we didn't spend much time on it in the field, thats why I dropped off at the dealer. If only I could get my hands on the diagnostic software and cable....I would feel much more comfortable.

As far as dealers go, I realize they are a business, and honesty goes a long ways. In this case there was some poor judgement on their part....I still feel that something is missing, the service tech told me on the phone 'i'll take care of you, you will be really pleased', that was on the price, then they flop a huge bill on me.

It reminds me of the 60 Minutes show where they unplugged a wire in the back of a refridgerator and called in a half dozen service companies and all but one charged them for a part that they didn't replace....hidden camera's everywhere....just goes to show that a majority of businesses as such are not honest.

Thanks for the comments....

Old 10-11-2005 | 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

This whole deal sucks. I just hope your machine is good now.

I don't want people to get the wrong idea from this thread though. There are a large number of dealers and each one is different. I live in a large city, and we have a number of dealers that if the service is poor, you can go to another dealer within an hour's drive away.

Also, in the automotive industry, replacement ECM's (unless under warranty) are often remanufactured, as this reduces the cost to the consumer(sometimes by as much as 75%)

Old 10-11-2005 | 12:53 AM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: longbox
This whole deal sucks. I just hope your machine is good now.

I don't want people to get the wrong idea from this thread though. There are a large number of dealers and each one is different. I live in a large city, and we have a number of dealers that if the service is poor, you can go to another dealer within an hour's drive away.

Also, in the automotive industry, replacement ECM's (unless under warranty) are often remanufactured, as this reduces the cost to the consumer(sometimes by as much as 75%)

i agree, there are some good dealers, but only two here that carry Polaris in a large city like ours leads to two bad dealers as far as I've experienced....

as far as the ECU, doubt you will find any remanufactured ones for such a limited production machine, its not like a car where there are 10's of thousands....i haven't seen anything that i can think of for ATV's that is remanufactured....so we're stuck with paying close to retail....

its tough....i like working on items myself, but its hard to troubleshoot the EFI without the Polaris diagnostic software, which my dealer said they just upgraded to V2.0....if anyone knows where i can get this, give me a PM...oh ok, i'm not really supposed to have it, but i need it bad so i can figure out these machines for everyone...

but you're right, there are some good dealers, just scattered and not around here....i had to tell this dealer how to troubleshoot and he didn't listen to his customer and lied....better luck next time I guess...

thanks for your comments...i did start a new thread on 700 EFI problems, but its really related to more than just the 700 EFI....i think more of the newer machines will have similar problems....

dave