Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wench Not Working "05 Sportsman 700

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005 | 04:24 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Wench Not Working "05 Sportsman 700

Wondering if anyone has a few tips on what to check for my promblem.

My wench is not working, when you do press on the buttons you here a clicking sound, but the wench itself is not working. I've check the connections coming from the wench itself and they seem to be fine. I can't seem to be able to follow where they are going to. But I'm thinking it's the wench itself with the promblem.

Anyone else experience the same thing, or have any ideas or tips that i can check into ?

THanks ahead of time for all your responses.

Old 11-05-2005 | 06:33 PM
Range Rover

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR CONTACTOR (SELENOID) WENT BAD, OR THE INSTALLER PUT A FUSE ON THE HARNESS SOMEWHERE. BUT I THINK IT IS THE SELINOID. THE OTHER THING YOU CAN DO IS CHECK FOR POWER AT THE WINCH, USING A TEST LIGHT. SOME OF THE LESSER QUALITY BRANDS ARE KNOWN TO HAVE THAT SIMILAR PROBLEM.

HOPE THAT HELPS YOU

Old 11-05-2005 | 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

its most likely NOT your relay/contactor....

its most likely your battery connection....it requires a very good connection, make sure the lugs are flat on the positive side of the battery, which is your only connection, the ground is prewired in the machine....you really need to put some torque on the connection, you can also use something like penetrox on the lugs to give good current flow and reduce corrosion...

let us know what you found...i can almost guarantee you its the battery contact...

Old 11-06-2005 | 10:33 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Actually just had the battery checked out, cause the four-wheeler wouldn't even start before, and they did find that the connection was only hand tight. They've tighten it since and it starts fine. Think it could be the ground wire? I have no idea where to find that!

Old 11-06-2005 | 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Michelle
Actually just had the battery checked out, cause the four-wheeler wouldn't even start before, and they did find that the connection was only hand tight. They've tighten it since and it starts fine. Think it could be the ground wire? I have no idea where to find that!
the ground I believe is up front near the winch, but probably not the problem...even though you say 'they' checked the positive cable, I believe it still may be your problem....I had the same problem and the machine would start fine, but if your positive winch wire is on top of the positive wire for the machine, you can still have the problem....take both wires off, put them back on and retorque them down....

the reason your contactor is clicking is because of a poor positive or poor ground.....the other problem could be the wires at the contactor itself...it is located in the front right wheel well...you'll see a bracket there that the contactor is mounted on top of....you can remove the two bolts that are on the bottom of the mount and then pull it down and check all the connections....

but really, even though your positive cable seems tight at the battery, it doesn't mean anything, remove the bolt, make sure that each lug is flat on each other, which usually you have to move the cables apart slightly so that they are not running parallel with each other and tighten them back down.

Old 11-06-2005 | 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

I had a simular problem. When the dealer installed the winch, they pinched the red wire between the frame and the winch mounting plate. Caused a dead battery and the winch would only work when it wanted to. Worked great untill the coating of the wire started to wear through.

Old 11-06-2005 | 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigDog800EFI
I had a simular problem. When the dealer installed the winch, they pinched the red wire between the frame and the winch mounting plate. Caused a dead battery and the winch would only work when it wanted to. Worked great untill the coating of the wire started to wear through.
Unfortunately alot of dealers do that, thats why installed mine....there is a tight stretch up front on some of the cables when you install the winch, there is a portion of the mount that will interfere if you don't take the time to route the cables correctly and its hard to move them because there isn't enough slack in the cables...just barely enough....

but, I don't think it is her problem, but you never know, but I doubt it...I would have to say its the power cable

Old 11-06-2005 | 03:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I hate it when my (WENCH) does not work either. Even when I press her buttons she still does not work. I pay her good money every week and she dont even make a hot meal for me after work. LOL!!! I had to do it. I think you mean to say your winch!

Old 11-06-2005 | 03:18 PM

QUOTE: "Wench Not Working on 05 Sportsman 700"

Hey I guess she's not perfect........just so long as she's performing her other "Duties" well........ then you should be able to live with it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]