Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Gas leak from overflow tube SP600

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas leak from overflow tube SP600

This thought may be a little far fetched but I'm gonna give it a try anyway.

What if, because of the harmonic vibrations and the design of the float bowl (and internal componets), fuel is "splashed" on the overflow orfice with just enough force to lightly seep out of the tube? If so, lowering the float level <u>may</u> help decrease the leakage, but not stop it completely. What if you used JB Weld, and fastened a baffel by the overflow orfice, so that fuel would not have a direct path to the opening?

Just trying to think "out of the bowl". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

might just work Vinnie, baffle would block unwanted splashing from entering tube but fuel could still enter if entire level in bowl were to rise. not sure if that epoxy would hold up being exposed to that constant fuel bath however.

today I pulled the plastic overflow tube up from the skidplate and routed it through one of the openings in the body plastic next to the fuel shut off and fixed it there with a nylon tie with the opening facing up. didn't leak and machine ran fine, portion of tube did fill up with fuel but only to a certain point. not a permanent fix but did save a few drops of fuel. I still plan on checking the fuel level in the bowl with the overflow tube method and if it is too high I may adjust float if I can muster the ambition in the cold weather. just so frustating to have taken that carb off so many times only to end up with it still leaking.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2005, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

When JB Weld sets up, it does as it's name suggests---it is like a weld. Except for a grinder, or torch, ect, I feel that it is impervious to most anything. I used it to repair a cracked block on my stock car. We ran it all summer and took first place. (The engine was about 450HP.)

Anyway, keep us informed!

Old 11-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

too busy today using machine to haul firewood, didn't get a chance to play with carb, thinking about selling to buy something with one air/oil cooled cylinder and a shift trans just to simplify and reduce maintenance, and save on fuel. hard to beat the AWD and traction of the Sportsman, but I'm disgusted with it...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]