Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 sportsman 600 Q

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005 | 08:03 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 03 sportsman 600 Q

Hi all. I have a 03 600 that has about 500 miles on it, I've Had a problem in the past with the LCD display not coming on and the machine will not start no lights nothing. I'd flip all the switches around and then it would start. after a while. Took it to the dealer and they said the Battery is weak. They charged it And has worked.
Now the same thing is happening but I have a plow with a little lift motor that will go up and down with no problem. But nothing else. I put the charger on it but it still does nothing. Just wondering if there is anyone out there that had the same kinda problem? Snow is coming and need some advice. Thanks all.
Also I was reading the other posts and others are using synthetic oil does that help with the cold blooded 600s? and does that change the oil change periods?
Thanks

Old 12-13-2005 | 08:52 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like you have to chase an electrical gremlin. Start with the easy connections first. Inspect, clean and/or apply die-electric grease to battery contacts, connections in the headlight pod, under the hood, ground straps/wires and ignition switch.

Check the cells in your battery for acid level. If your batt is dying there's no bringing it back to life, might be time for a new one.

The Polaris 0-40 is synthetic and is pretty thin, good for cold start ups. You can get a good 0-40 synthetic at most auto stores.

Let us know how you're doing with the gremlin. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2005 | 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

your machine came stock from the factory with synthetic 0w-40 oil and should have been changed with the same all along. if not, not much you can do except change back to synthetic immediately, like now! be sure to use 0w-40, don't stray from this weight, brand is not as important, Amsoil, Polaris, Mobil, but get synthetic in there asap! change it after that according to the manual. Wix filter #51357. can't help with the electrical issue but as far as hte cold blooded nature of the 600, check to see if the "carb update" has been performed. if you are the original owner and didn't have it done then see if a dealer will install it for you at no charge. many of us have had it done this way because Polaris sent out a bulletin to its dealerships alerting them of the problem. click this link and scroll down to the 5th post titled "600/700 Carb Update" for details. the update cuts down on warm up time and lets you drive the machine right away just after start up.

Old 12-13-2005 | 09:43 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info Guys and the dealer did some thing i don't think it was anything with the carb but they put on a larger crank case breather. Ill look in to the carb thing.
I think i found my electrical problem. I took off the top part of the instrument head and checked the tightness of the connectors and found that when i wiggled the key switch the power came on. then went off Ill try the conductive grease firs then maby a new switch.

Old 12-14-2005 | 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

there was also a breather hose bulletin that replaced the original with a hose with a slit in it to let moisture drain out and it also is insulated. some machines were having trouble with ice accumulation, but it was only in extreme cold where the bike wasn't allowed to thaw in between rides. I would definately recommend the carb update, helps quite a bit with warm up and overall performance. print out the bulletin on the site I showed you and take it to the dealer so they take you seriously.

peace