Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

MSRP Negotiable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSRP Negotiable?

The closest Polaris dealer by me is standing firm on the SP 450 at $6299 which is the MSRP. Any thought on if the MSRP is negotiable and if I should look for another dealer? The next closest is 45 minutes away.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default MSRP Negotiable?

The "S" in M.S.R.P stands for SUGGESTED not mandatory.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default MSRP Negotiable?

In the Spring of '04 I drove over an hour to save $1,000 when I bought my 600, but it wasn't a brand new model either, it was already old news. The trouble with a first year product is everybody wants it so the dealer/seller doesn't need to promote sales with discounts. However, I would definately shop around, as mentioned before the S stands for SUGGESTED, the bigger the dealer, the bigger the discounts. don't worry about distance and service, ALL Polaris dealers must honor warranty work. A closer dealer may not like working on a machine they didn't sell, but too bad, they shouldn't have lost the sale in the first place.

good luck

Old 12-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer
Default MSRP Negotiable?

Kaptap,

Because you haven't completed your profile I can't tell what part of the country you're in, but as a reference you can go to SouthernPowerSports.

These guys list their discounted prices right on the website. They claim to have NO FEES. That's no frieght, no setup, no doc fee, etc. They also have the lowest prices I have seen anywhere.

I guess my question for your dealer would be... If Southern Power Sports can sell ATVs for these prices, why can't he?

Good luck!

BB

Old 12-20-2005, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MSRP Negotiable?

Originally posted by: vtwinwilly
Kaptap,

Because you haven't completed your profile I can't tell what part of the country you're in, but as a reference you can go to <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.southernpowersports.com/" target=blank>SouthernPowerSports</A>.

These guys list their discounted prices right on the website. They claim to have NO FEES. That's no frieght, no setup, no doc fee, etc. They also have the lowest prices I have seen anywhere.

I guess my question for your dealer would be... If Southern Power Sports can sell ATVs for these prices, why can't he?

Good luck!

BB

WOW....your right...they have amazing prices!

Old 12-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Range Rover
Default MSRP Negotiable?

In a place like So. California, MSRP + fees are what bikes sell for. Why? because people will pay it, the dealers want to make as much as possible and they pay thier salesman striclty on commision. In So. Cal where buyers are a dime a dozen, they don't have to come off of MSRP because the product sells it self. If you pay MSRP OTD you're getting a good deal.

Now in Arkansas where the buying public is much smaller, the dealers have to do whatever it takes to move bikes. If that means selling them $200 to $300 over COST to keep the customer from going down the street, so be it. To them EVERY sale counts, because they know it could be a week or a month before they make another one.

I guess it all depends on what part of the country you live in.

But to answer your question, YES MSRP is the manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price and isn't written in stone that you absolutely have to pay that price. I know from experience that in some parts of the country MSRP doesn't mean a thing.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default MSRP Negotiable?

I figure the msrp is always negotiable. I always give my local dealers a shot, and when they don't budge, I drive an hour to California and not only save about $600 off of msrp, but I don't pay the sales tax either since I am not a resident. Unless you just want the quad NOW and have the cash laying around, do some research, save the money and buy extras.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Range Rover
Default MSRP Negotiable?

Thanks vtwinwilly I'm in N.C. about four hours from Southern Powersports. They do have great prices, but I'll be hit with the sales tax for NC plus penalty fees if I don't register the sale ASAP. Perhaps I need to look at them more as I could stil save money. Just haven't figured out if I should go with Polaris or Arctic Cat. You all have good points, but I need to do some test rides first.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default MSRP Negotiable?

from what I have read, the Cats compare well with the Sportsman as far as suspension and clearance. I would give Polaris the nod if you want a hands free no brainer AWD system, but if you want to be in complete control of which wheels get traction and when, then the Cat would be the choice. The Cats also lack a rear anti-sway bar which allows more articulation than the Polaris, but at the sacrifice of high speed cornering stability. It would be nice if you could spend a couple hours on each to make a decision, next best thing would be to check out the Cat forum and perhaps post a question over there. You can also PM people that have the same machine you are interested in, most are willing to help out, that's what we're here for.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Range Rover
Default MSRP Negotiable?

I have purchased two quads from Southern Powersports. The prices on their website are accurate, that's what you pay, out the door. I drove 5 1/2 hours to get there. Eventually I'l have to pay indiana sales tax but even after that I figure I still saved about $1100 on the ATP and a little less on my wifes Sportsman. Well worth the drive IMHO. Good folks to deal with too, you call and tell 'em when you are going to be there, they have the papers ready to go, you walk in, sign, watch the Polaris "don't get killed" video and you are out the door.

As an aside has anyone ever looked closely at the Polaris manuals? The phrase "Serious injury or Death" appears like 47 (no I'm not exagerating) times in the first 15 pages or so! Per Polaris if you ever start your quad much less ride it you run the risk of "Serious injury or Death". I know that part was written by lawyers but it's just kind of funny.
Q