Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Service on new ATV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006 | 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Service on new ATV.

I would also like to add that the slob is a nice kid (just not real smart or ambitious) and their mechanic is a decent , knowledgable person.

Old 01-19-2006 | 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

i cant understand them charging you a hundered bucks to service the bike even a novice mechanic sholdnt take more than 30 minutes to change oil check fluids and air filter grease what few fittings there is how much is their labor??? rate parts cant be more than 25 bucks for a filter and 2 quarts of oil i would question them about pricing

Old 01-19-2006 | 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

100 for the Polaris and 150 for the Yamaha. Does this sound right?
don't do it man! even if you pay $8 bucks per quart and $6 on a filter you have only spent $44 for two machines. sure "only" is certainly relative, but by doing it yourself you will know it was done right! a large coffe can should fit under your machines to make draining easy, use plenty of rags when removing filter to catch runaway oil. put a tarp down so the floor/ground stays clean. this way no yahoos will be touching or RIDING your machine. always remember, and this goes for auto repair too, most of the time the person working on your vehicle doesn't give two $hits about your pride and joy.

engine oil and filter will do it, don't need to mess with the other fluids untill 100 hours. probably won't hurt to throw a few pumps of grease in the fittings. just check coolant and if you really want to, the manual will show you how to check the other fluids.

done yourself=done right!

Old 01-19-2006 | 09:29 PM
Range Rover

Check your mail. Polaris sends out coupons for free oil and sometimes a filter. Two months ago I did my first oil change at my dealer, and with a free oil coupon, it was only $24.00.

Old 01-19-2006 | 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: James1701
Check your mail. Polaris sends out coupons for free oil and sometimes a filter. Two months ago I did my first oil change at my dealer, and with a free oil coupon, it was only $24.00.

that's great, but how clean was the funnel they used to pour the oil in? did they wipe the drain plug and surrounding area clean before removal? did they wipe the drain plug clean making sure there wasn't any dirt or filings in the threads before reinstalling? what if they dropped it on the dirty floor and simply put it back in. what kind of oil did they put in? they said it was the Polaris stuff, but how do you know? the oil filter mating surface, did they wipe it with a clean rag prior to putting the filter on? did anything fall in the filter before they put it on? did they even change the filter?

sound paranoid, perhaps, but by doing it yourself you can answer every single one of these questions and save a lot of time. the whole process only takes maybe 15 minutes. you can't even get the machine loaded and leave the driveway in that time. no offense, I just don't trust anybody because most of them don't give a crap and by the time your machine is suffering from their poor workmanship the warranty is long gone and you end up giving them more money.

Old 01-19-2006 | 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

My oil change at the dealer cost $44 .
$24 for the oil and filter and $20 for 1/2 hour labor.

Old 01-19-2006 | 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

come on guys, it's only a little harder than filling the gas tank!

Old 01-20-2006 | 12:17 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: zerowick
Originally posted by: James1701

that's great, but how clean was the funnel they used to pour the oil in? did they wipe the drain plug and surrounding area clean before removal? did they wipe the drain plug clean making sure there wasn't any dirt or filings in the threads before reinstalling? what if they dropped it on the dirty floor and simply put it back in. what kind of oil did they put in? they said it was the Polaris stuff, but how do you know? the oil filter mating surface, did they wipe it with a clean rag prior to putting the filter on? did anything fall in the filter before they put it on? did they even change the filter?

sound paranoid, perhaps, but by doing it yourself you can answer every single one of these questions and save a lot of time. the whole process only takes maybe 15 minutes. you can't even get the machine loaded and leave the driveway in that time. no offense, I just don't trust anybody because most of them don't give a crap and by the time your machine is suffering from their poor workmanship the warranty is long gone and you end up giving them more money.
Accually, it was pretty clean. I stood right beside the fellow that did the work. And he wiped the plug and made sure to point it out to me that it had a magnetic tip to catch metal shavings. Dont forget, dont wipe off the oil filter, put a thin coating of new oil on the seal, so you dont tear it up when you install it. My dealer did a great job, but I am not saying take it to the dealer every time, but it is helpful to go the first time and watch and see what you can learn. PS, I picked the Polaris oil off the shelf myself before they put it in. lol. I dont blame you for being upset at the dealer it sounds like they did not do a good job for you.

Old 01-20-2006 | 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

make sure the oil filter gasket comes off with old filter too and doesn't stay on engine. made that mistake on a Dodge sedan we had, two gaskets are NOT better than one!

the dealer I bought my machine from is a complete dink. he was all po'd because I talked him down on price. then he refused to perform the carb update unless I paid for it. he's a big cry baby, and far away. I take it to a local guy that used to work on Polaris' but now owns a KTM shop, funny how they are now joined up. I have him do the front and rear gear case and tranny fluids once a year, just to maintain the relationship and give him some business, he's a good guy.