Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

K&N or UNI filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N or UNI filter

I have a new K&N filter and a UNI fitler for my Hawkeye. Which one should I use? I ride trails primarily, and mainly pretty dusty conditions. The K&N seems to fit a little tighter to the airbox.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a debate that alot of people will argue. Both are great filters. I have used both and still use the K&N. I used a K&N on my moded 250. After a general rebuild on the top end the cylinder walls still looked new so the K&N was working. I think the UNI will let a little more air in but not much.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

If I use the K&N do I have to have the outerwear cover on it? I still have a foam sleeve that came off the oem filter that would fit on it also.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You dont have to use the outerwear. I like the outerwear but you can also use the foam filter as a prefilter.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

It's your call but I would not run a K&N in dusty conditions, dirt gets through outterwears or not. I seen first hand several machines in our group riding in dusty conditions with dirt coated intake ducts from inadequate filtering. The foam or paper filter equipped machines didn't have the dirt build up in the intake ducts. I run well oiled Uni's.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

as long as you keep your K&N well oiled and have a prefilter on it, you wont have any problems in it in any condition. remember that K&N's use Surgical Cotton as their filter, so it has to be kept clean AND AWAY FROM WATER. thats were hte outerwear's prefilter comes in, it repels water to an extent, which helps your intake. i belive in Outerwears, i have one on my predator, and my airbox is removed and it has kept my filter dry in many occasions, especially all the crap i go through.

Twin Air and Uni foam filters will better protect, though the K&N flows a bit more air. you cant go wrong with both, Twin Air and K&N are my favorites. If AFE made filters for quads that'd me my number one.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

I have allways used K&N on my street bikes..But I never run them on dirt bikes or atv's.I have allways used the uni twin filters on the off road stuff.. never had any prob's this way!!

Old 01-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

It depends if your a leader or a follower. If your a leader, then use a K&N. If your a follower, then use a UNI. Foam filters work better in dusty cond.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N s filter just as good as the foam if you clean them regularlly.But if you plan on gettting into any deep water the foam type is better.If you get water in the airbox you can just wring it out and get on your way.K&N gets wet you are screwed.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said, Foam will filter smaller size particle's then the K&N will. If you need proof, just go to their web site's and look at the particle size in microns rating's. If it was a street bike, then K&N all the way. If you want to take a chance on your top end, then that's up to you.

Quick Reply: K&N or UNI filter