Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

blown seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown seal

When I was greasing my u-joint on a trailblazer 250 I was doing it in a dark area of my garage and didnt notice all this grease coming out by the chain and brake area. I was looking at the zerk fitting waiting to see it come out there when it was full, but it never came out at the zerk fitting but boy did it come out other places. I was using a hand held 3oz pump and had about 2oz left in it. I pumped all this into the u-joint area. Its the first time I've ever greased anything so wasnt real sure of what I was doing. I'm afraid I blew out a seal. Alot of grease came out by the brake and chain. Thing is someone told me that when you change out the old grease you would just keep pumping in new grease until all the old grease comes out, they said that the old grease would come out in the same place that all mine did along with water if there was water in it. So is that true on how you would change out the old u-joint grease. They said to use a different color grease each time and just keep pumping until the new color comes out. If thats true then I should be okay. Its as though I just changed out my grease. Are do you think that I blew out something. How would I know. Thanks

Old 02-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default blown seal

Whoever said you have to change out the old grease is nuts. The only thing you have to do is pump it till it starts to come out the seals. Then you know any air that is there was just filled with grease and dirt will not get in. Grease is grease and it does not go bad in the joints. You just need to grease it because you will use it, some will come out and you need to fill the airpockets back up so dirt does not enter. You dont want to just keep pumping grease because you will damage seals. Just pump till it starts to come out.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default blown seal

you dont to your grease to come out your seals to much or you will damage the seals like 2 many said.you also want to grease it alot if you go though alot of water or @ least use a water proof grease.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default blown seal

Went out to the garage today and got a bunch of old rags and really cleaned the grease off of my atv. Looks new now. Anyway I rode it for about 20 mins and not a drop of grease came out. I understand that 20 mins might not show any signs of a blown seal. But I think that it's okay. Only bad to come from this is my back brakes dont work. Got oil on the round brake thing attached to the axle. I sprayed degreaser on it and gave it a good dry wipe down. Still not working. I'm sure though that when I hit the trails and sand and dirt fly up on it, the slippery will pass. Unless yall have another idea. Anyway thanks for the responses.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default blown seal

Originally posted by: watzupdog
Only bad to come from this is my back brakes dont work. Got oil on the round brake thing attached to the axle. I sprayed degreaser on it and gave it a good dry wipe down. Still not working.
Some oil probably got absorbed into the brake pads. More degreaser on the pads themselves may help.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default blown seal

in the worse case take the break pads off and use a wire whel or a peace of sand paper to sand down them lighty so get rid of the oil.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default blown seal

Hey watzupdog,
You won't hurt any seal's bye over greasing it. Just keep pumping till you get all the dirty grease and water out. After you do that, clean all the old grease off of it. Just don't use a pressure washer on it, because a pressure washer will push all the dirt and water back in the seal's and ruin the bearing's. Just make sure you don't get any grease on the brake rotor either. When you use a pressure washer to clean off your quad, keep the pressure away from all seal's or you will cause water and dirt to get past the seal's and cause problem's. I grease mine after every trip I take (approx 500 miles).

Old 02-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default blown seal

And you wonder why you have so many problems with your scrammy. If you keep pumping you will distort the seal and cause it to prematurely fail. They can only take so much pressure. You fill the joints till the popping stops. This means all the air is out of the joints. If your seals were good to start with dirt should not get in there in the first place. Every time you pump the crap out of it makes it easier for dirt to enter.

Whatzupdog,
What u joint were you greasing on the 250? It has no u joints!

Old 02-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default blown seal

no there isnt any u joints. there is only 3 in the back i think,1 is the rear end and 1 on each side of the swing arm. you will get water in the seals if you play in the water much. my wife does and i have to grease it after to get any out,which isnt alot. you really dont need to purg old grease out unless its been contaimented.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default blown seal

You definitely don't want to pump out all the grease every time you do it. Unless you have stock in a grease company.
Too much pumping can lead to a blown seal. Like the others have said, just enough to get any contaminated grease and dirt out.

Anyone besides me think of this when they read the title?

"No, it's just ice cream." [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: blown seal