Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

BEWARE of the HAWKEYE. DANGEROUS

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE of the HAWKEYE. DANGEROUS

What are the production dates or how low are the S/N of the ones breaking. I have had mine since about May and is running great. In all honesty, if I was not 6'4 I would trade my 500 Sportsman in for another Hawkeye in a heartbeat. I like it that much, it just gets a little cramped on a 60 mile ride for me.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Toz
Weekend Warrior

they did not cover mine. its not your fault. its only 18 gauge sheet metal holding your wheel on.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

The shop said mine is still covered under warranty. They talked to Polaris, as they should have made the sub-frame much stronger. Polaris did not tell them anything about a recall or a part update. I hope to get a hold of a friend’s friend that works for Polaris and we might be able to do something about the problem. What about a federal safety board? I wonder how many are breaking, probably ALL if they are used much for off road.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

I found out where to report safety problems with ATVs!!
Consumer Safety Commision U.S. Government Site

https://www.cpsc.gov/incident.html
You can also report an incident or unsafe product by calling toll-free at 1-800-638-2772 or by sending an e-mail to info@cpsc.gov

Polaris will not talk to owners and they do not seem to be re-designing a better part. Let us see if we can help make a difference. The information about reporting problems should come with every ATV, not just safety class info.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I guess I owe an apology to Polaris Tilamok, OR.
I did got me a copy of my warranty repairs on my Hawkeye from Polaris direct at Consumer Service Team (763) 417-8650 (Monday-Friday between 8:30AM - 4:30PM Central time) and the dealer didn't bill the A-arm twice, just me. Considering what you all wrote about this frequent trouble it is safe to say it should have been under warranty, but at least they didn't cheat as I worried.
I'm still much more happy with dealer at Boring, OR, I'm gona buy my Outlaw there next.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

The A arm on my brand new Polaris X2 broke with only about 30 miles on it. Of course I hit a stump at about 20 mph. The plastic POS bumper and left headlight were also smashed when I lost control and hit the tree.

You would think they would make them better.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

All -

It seems like this thread has morphed
into a Polaris Slamming session. Believe
me I am a recent convert from Arctic Cat
to Polaris. I still like the AC though, and
more impressed with their 07 line ups.
(I love my Polaris but am not biased to other
great quads)

That said, it would appear that the Hawkeye's
are no single exception to having their own
problems. But good customer service varies
from dealer to dealer. I had sucky exp. on
that front with my AC, until visiting these forums
and it gave me a new perspective that my
Bass Pro - Marine Tracker local dealer is more
geared to boat sales, and even the ATV mechanic
is a boat mechanic. They focused sales of ATV's
(hunting time/yr) in the off season, which explained
alot. My cousin has bought two of these 06' Haweyes
for his kids, we have run them hard through various
terrain etc. They are still holding good and we have not
yet to re-carb them.

Cheers!

R'

Old 09-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

My wifes 2 month old hawkeye had a rattle inside the clutch case. I am talking about a rod knocking sound.

I thought she had shredded the belt so I pulled off the aluminum cover and the belt looked good. I started inspecting everything and what I found was that the bearing in the aluminum cover could be moved back and fourth in the housing and made the same sound as when the engine was running. I took out the c-clip and removed the bearing. Then I placed a round thin gear shim behind the bearing, put it back together and the noise was gone. After a month a very slight sound can be heard again, but minor compared to the horrific sound we heard before.

Anyone else hear weird sounds in the engnie??

Oh, something else I noticed. Start your Hawkeye and pull on the throttle cable where it travels over the handlebar. The machine will rev up. Thats real nice!!! Go into the woods and a limb catches this cable and your butt is going full throttle all the sudden!!!

Old 09-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

My Hawkeye has an electronic throttle, no cable. Interesting, I'll have to try it. I've been through tons of brush and trees on overgrown trails and never had a problem. No engine noise either. I can not wait to get it back, the weather is nice and cool here nor in southern AZ, and there are tons of illegals to spot.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Jimbo I think your cable is bad, the cable housing is pulled out of the crimped fitting at the carb. I'd replace it, I have a slight rattle noise in my clutch area also but haven't got into it yet....

Quick Reply: BEWARE of the HAWKEYE. DANGEROUS