Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman and atp 4X4 not working in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman and atp 4X4 not working in reverse

my bike did the same thing. i talked to 9 dealers in my area and they all said the same thing, electrical. i installed 12 volt for 18 years so i have a good idea on how that works. so when i had 12 volts ground at the gear box when i pressed the over ride button at the brown white wire i said, time to take the gear box out. so check that wire at the gear box for ground when pushing the button. if you have ground i would say you have the same problem i had. could be any way.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer

Sippy,

If the AWD light doesn't come on in reverse WHEN the override button is pushed, you have an ELECTRICAL PROBLEM. After Easter, I will post some step-by-step intsructions on what to test to try to help you find your problem on the 400.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

Sippy,

I looked at your previous post and this is what I concluded, if I missed something, let me know.

A. AWD and the AWD light work in forward but not in reverse when the override button is pushed.
B. The reverse light on the headlight pod works in reverse.

For troubleshooting, wire colors are [color] or [color/color] for main color/tracer color.

The steps below are for the 2002 Sportsman, may apply to other, but not sure.

1. Start engine, put trans in reverse – reverse light should be on. Push override button. Did the reverse light stay on or go off (or get real dim)?
a. Stay on, turn engine off and go to step #2.
b. Go off, the rear trans switch or a wire to or from it is the problem. Let me know, we can troubleshoot from here.

2. Remove bottom back plug from the override switch and check wire colors and condition of connection.
Are the wire colors: A [gray/orange], B [gray/white], C [purple], D [red/black], E [red/black], F no wire. To take the connector apart, remove the plastic lock tab and use a hatpin to remove the connectors from the plug.
a. Yes, go to step #3.
b. No, this is the problem.

3. Remove bottom front plug from the override switch and jumper D [red/white] wire on front plug to D [red/black] wire on back plug with a small paper clip. Turn key on, (**caution, paper clip will have 12 volts**) put trans in reverse (reverse light should be on). Check for +12 volts on the C [purple] wire in step #2.
a. Yes, turn key off and remove paper clip then go to step #4.
b. No, the problem is the [purple] wire or a connector between the override switch plug and the [purple] splice under the hood.

4. With the key off, check for continuity (use ohms or continuity test on meter) on the override switch between pins B and C of the switch. When the button is out, there should be no continuity, when pushed in there should be continuity (0-10 ohms).
a. Yes, go to step #5.
b. No, clean or replace override switch.

5. With the key off, check for continuity between the B [gray/white] wire on the override switch plug and the [gray/white] splice under the hood. Is there continuity (0-10 ohms)?
a. Yes, go to step #6.
b. No, the problem is the [gray/white] wire or a connector between the override switch plug and the [gray/white] splice under the hood.

6. With the key off, check for continuity on the override switch between pins A and C of the switch. When the button is out, there should be continuity, when pushed in there should be no continuity.
a. Yes, go to step #7.
b. No, clean or replace override switch.

7. With the key off, check for continuity between the A [gray/orange] wire on the override switch plug and the F [gray/orange] wire on the speedometer plug. Is there continuity (0-10 ohms)?
a. Yes, go to step #8.
b. No, the problem is the [gray/orange] wire or a connector between the override switch plug and the speedometer plug.

8. Use a jumper wire to connect the E [brown/white] wire on the speedometer plug to ground (frame). Turn key on, put trans in reverse (reverse light should be on). Push override button. Did the AWD light turn on?
a. Yes, the problem is the speedometer.
b. No, take your bike to a dealer.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Greg

Old 04-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

I went riding this weekend and had the same problem, no AWD in reverse. When I got home I started checking things. When I got to step #2 above I found the plug covered with Green crud. I took the plug apart and cleaned everything, put di-electric grease on the connecters and put it back together. Now the AWD works great.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

i have not had time to mess with the awd yet but when i do i will let you know