Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Atv patents???????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2000, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how do get a patent on parts for atv or other products?

Old 11-17-2000, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

u have to go through a patent attorney. they work through the US patent Office to check to make sure your invention hasent been already made.

what is it that u have invented??

later
jon

Old 11-17-2000, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

Dazed

To file for a patent for something you invented for an atv, you have to go through the same process as any other patent application. You have to fill out lots of paperwork and wait until the US patent office makes sure that no one else has patented the same idea. Like Jon said above, you are better off hiring an attorney that specializes in this type of law. Unless its a really good product, I am not sure that its worth the time and costs. What will probably happen if you try and produce/sell the product is someone will steal the ideal from you and your only course of action will be to sue them. Again, a long and costly process. Not trying to discourage you, but just trying to lay out the process a little for you.

Old 11-17-2000, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you think you have something thats worth the money to get a patent, contact a patent attorney. He'll do a search that costs around $1000.00 and tell you what protection is available. Then, if you think the invention is worth patenting, it will cost you about another $2000.00 to get the patent and will take about 2 or 3 years to get it. Then you have to pay maintenance fees at the 7 and 15 year marks, around a grand each time. Once you file the patent with the Patent and Trademark Office, you can sell it and thats where you'll make your money from all this. You'd be surprised at how much Honda or Yamaha will pay for things. If you think its worth it, GO FOR IT!

The worst that could happen is you lose a couple hundred dollars. The best is that you retire in the next year. Your choice.

Also, if you want to dig around a little on your own, go to www.uspto.gov and look under the searchable databases for patents and search for similar inventions already patented. That might give you some feedback.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2000, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

I have already talked to highlifter and gosnell atv in idaho and the y both want to see what i have well guess what i sure the hell aint showing them so i can get ripped off. I will sell the idia and parts but i aint about ready to give it away i would rather give it to freinds and people on the forum. Hell both items work great and there cheap to make. people are crying for these parts to but when your broke you can,t get the funding for a patent you sol.