Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

green spring again??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as in another post i made about the installation of the green spring and was pleased with the performance i ve got a down fault now.the weekend before i put in the spring i made a long and steep hillclimb just to to intimidate a couple of hondas and i was spinning like wild to get to the top of it because it is very loose.well after i installed the green spring i attemted to climb it again and to my supprise i couldnt climb it on numerous tries.it acts like it is shifting into a higher gear and would just bogg down.do i need to change the weights or what to restore my power?any help appreciated.any one else run in to the same trouble?

Old 11-13-2000, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

You have posed a good question. As part of my RCR stage 1 kit, I installed a green spring in my '99 Trail Boss 250. I haven't been to any hills yet but I think I know what you mean. My quad seems to "top out" quickly also. I have pondered adding a full clutch kit. Any thoughts guys?

Coach

Old 11-13-2000, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Guys~
Here's my thought on the subject...since the engagement RPM is raised from the clutch kit/green spring, it has less RPM's to gain before it tops out. Maybe it feels like it tops out quicker because it has less RPM's to build?? I didn't explain it real well, but do you kinda understand what I'm getting at??

Old 11-13-2000, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry,
but I've personally not experienced anything I dont like about my green spring at any speeds or hills.I do own a 2 stroke to so maybe thats the differance?Oh,BTW,did you check your exaust and make sure it is NOT plugged?
Bill

Old 11-13-2000, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

everything on my sp is in top shape.it felt just like i was on a geared machine in too high a gear.out on the open trails and short hillclimbs it works perfect but on a real steep and long hill i can no longer climb.

Old 11-15-2000, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

come on guys /where are all the gurus on polaris clutch modifications at? if i cant get this fixed i will probably switch back to stock.please help

Old 11-15-2000, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider

Are you doing these steep hills in high or low range?
Bill

Old 11-16-2000, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

I have the white spring, and if anything, it seems to pull BETTER than the stock one did. I have tried long, steep hills, and towing stuff. I briefly tried the green spring and it seemed better at pulling, too. I can climb up ANY hill in HIGH range and not run out of power. It will either spin out or lift the front end. If there are a lot of bumps to hop, I go in low, but it is for control, not power. The only thing I can think of would be somehow the power curves are different from the 2 stroke to 4 stroke engines, so yours isn't running at the best RPM to make power.

Old 11-18-2000, 04:16 AM
Trailblazer

I used to ponder the endless question about which "color" spring gives what type of engagement at what RPM until a guy who used to post on here a long time ago cleared it up for me a bit. His name was Jack Schultz and he has a web site called Schults Motor Sports ?(don't remember the address) with pics of a wild Sport 400 he built (Jet black plastic with all kinds of aluminum and billit accessories - bad *** quad). Anyway, he basically said that all these aftermarket companies paint their own springs their own color for their own coding purposes. To get the true specs on a spring you have to go by it's compression specs. In other words a green spring from HPd may be just like the brown spring from Hot Seat.

The compression strength of the spring is set up in direct relationship with the rpm's being created by the motor. That's why when you buy a pipe for say a 400 Sport most manufacturers will instruct you on what size spring they offer to use with the pipe they are selling you because they know what compression strength out of their springs will work best with your application and rpm's being created by the pipe on the given motor.

It may be that the engines you are running the "green" spring on are not creating the kind of rpm's it requires to fully engage the cluth with that spring on it. I run an Aaen green spring on my 400 Scrambler with an RCR midpipe (Rick at RCR said it would be fine) and can't see a 250 creating the same rpm's and horsepower it takes to fully utilize that springs use of compression. The Aaen green allows the 400 to create enough rpm's in the meat of it's power band before fully engaging with the kind of pipe I am running. So, this same spring may not be what a person with a smaller motor or slower turning motor is looking for in the way of engagement.

There are so many different combinations that can be made between where your best horsepower is being made and the engagement timing of your drive and secondary clutch that you just about have to be a rocket scientist to figure it all out on your own. Or just have alot of time and money to spend on getting it right. The best bet is to pick one good aftermarket company for your engine and tranny mods and stick with them so they can tell you what they have that will work well with what you already have. Because they have most likely done the rocket science for you.

Hope this helps. I know I beat my head against the wall for awhile trying to decide what "color" my spring was supposed to be.

Dane Sharpe
'97 Scrambler 400 w/RCR mods and split brakes

P.S. Just dug up the address of the guy I;m talking about. He's got alot more pics up now of some really nice looking Polaris's. If you haven't checked his site out yet you owe it to yourself to give it a look see @ http://www.godigital-design.com/schu...rts/links.html

Old 11-18-2000, 06:00 AM
Pro Rider

Sharp1,
is very SHARP.You done a fine job of explaining in your post,and it also makes good sense.I think you are on the RIGHT track,
Bill