Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front hub problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could try taking the cap off the hub, and spraying wd-40 into the mechinism from the end. Diesel or Kerosene might be better if you can get some in an old windex bottle. I might be afraid to use something that may attack the rubber of the seals. Usually just changing oil, running around 5 minutes & changing it again is enough.

Old 11-22-2000, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have '00 500 scrambler 4x4 and it just happened to me . The right front kicked in after about 10 ft under hard acceleration. This is the first time it did this . I put mobil 1 atf in the hubs about three months ago. Checked the magnet on the filler plug and it wasn't all that dirty some metal flaking. This really sucks when your on a trail and one of the front wheels kicks in. If there are so many riders having problems polaris should find a fix for this. This is a major saftey problem that needs a cure. Just my thoughts !!!

Old 11-22-2000, 10:36 AM
Trailblazer

Drmhom,

The change of fluid in mine did the trick. I used some B12 Chemtool to clean the hubs out with first and drained it immediatly after turning the hubs for a little while by hand. Then refilled and drained the hubs twice with fresh Mobile One ATF. The last time making sure the hub drain plug was in the 4 o'clock position before replacing the plug. This is what the shop manual specifies - don't overfill.

I used the plug hole to fill the hubs with and the caps to drain them. The best thing I have found to use in filling the hubs with fluid is a labratory squirt bottle with the tube coming out of the top. Like the water bottle's you see boxing trainers using in their corner to rinse their fighters mouth out between rounds. With these you can squirt the fluid straight into the hub without a mess.

I took it for a spin right after and it did fine. Lots of wheel spin to play with again .

Old 11-22-2000, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

Wasn't the proper position for filling up the hubs at approximately 2 o'clock? I think at 4 o'clock the hubs would be hard to fill, and would not hold enough.

Old 11-22-2000, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

The manual states 4 o'clock as being the operating fluid level in the hub. You first fill them to 2 o'clock then rotate to 4 o'clock and let it drain to that level. It's best to wait for a little while after filling them at the 2 o'clock position to let the fluid settle then fill up some more if needed. It sometimes takes a minute or so for the fluid to completely settle down into the hub, depending on how cold it is I guess. To tell you the truth I filled mine at 12 and then let it drain at 4. Doesn't seem to make a difference but I think it gives the fluid more of a chance to soak everything. Might also want to take a very clean small screw driver or the allen wrench for the drain set screw and run it in and out of the hole at the 4 o'clock position to make sure the fluid isn't being trapped by air in the hub. Make sure whatever you use is clean though.