Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Installing clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing clutch kit

Thinking about getting a clutch kit for my Sportsman 500. Will I need any special tools to install it. The only instructions I could find on the internet were from Big Buck's website an they did not mention any special tools. I have heard that I would need a compession tool for the spring in the secondary clutch???

Old 05-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

You do not need and special tools but it makes it alot easier to do. If you are a first timer and arn't very experianced with the polaris atv or snowmobile clutches it probably best you either take it to your dealer or have someone with some experiance help you it will make it alot easier to do. Other wise you can get a primary cltuhc puller 29.99 and a clutch compression tool 49.95 and do it your self with those tools. Once again you do not need the tools, you can change the primary spring and weights with the primary clutch on the machine. The secondary comes off with 1 bolt unless it stuck, after its removed from the quad you will need a snap ring pliers to remove the helix and have access to the secondary spring. We send instructions with our kits to help you along the way too.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply. I do not have any experience with the clutch kit install. I do think I could follow written instrucions and do it myself (if the instructions are clear). The secondary clutch is the part i am most conserned with, mainly I just want to make sure nobody gets hurt. I have a big strong 17 yr old son who will be helping, just wanted to know before getting into this clutch changing job what to expect. What are the dangers?????

Old 05-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

You should be fine if one holds the secondary together and the other removes the snap ring on the secondary to take it apart you should be fine.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Range Rover

I noticed one thing that the manual doesn't tell you when taking the snap ring off or putting it back on. For me it helped to take the pressure off the snap ring first by giving the sheaves a partial turn and hold them that way to compress the spring. This seemed a little easier than trying to just push down on the helix to take the pressure off the snap ring. Hope this helps.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about that but you will need to remove the presure from the helix to snap ring area by either using your hands which is hard to do or using a cluthc compression tool.