Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Aluminum Framed Sportsman H.O.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2000 | 02:31 AM
|
Pro Rider

Face it. We've got one big gripe with Polaris. Weight. Those extra pounds are great for tug-of-war, but that's it. No trail, hill, track, mudpit or dune is going to favor the heavier machine. We all hope Polaris is listening and will eventually come around.
A weight study would be a component by component weight comparison against other brands and models to see where Polaris is heavy and where pounds could be shed. Academic maybe, but revealing.
On the home front, aluminum wheels and muffler would save a few pounds, and you could always strip off stuff we find useful, like racks, but we like our racks.
We certainly can't change or lighten any major components.... or can we? How about that anvil-like mild steel frame? I see racing frames are selling for almost $3000. Hmmm. I can weld aluminum. I've got a MIG set up for aluminum.
Square tubing is much easier to fabricate than round. How about a carbon copy of a Sportsman frame in structural aluminum? I wonder how much weight it would save? How much does the frame weigh in the first place? I would think the mainframe would be the object, nevermind the suspension A-arms, though that could be another few lbs. they would be more difficult.
Anybody got a problem with a Sportsman H.O.
500 weighing less than 600 lbs?
Silly later,,,,,Fourlix

Old 11-22-2000 | 04:28 AM
Trailblazer

Neat idea. One thing to think about is if you made the frame identical to stock it would have to be twice as thick using aluminum but would still be light. I think if a guy had the equipement, time, and patience to do a project like this he would be sucessful.

Old 11-22-2000 | 04:44 AM
Pro Rider

Aluminum? JUNK!
May as well go all out, see how much quad can be made of titanium, carbon fiber, and cubic Dollars!

Seriously though, carbon fiber stuff is popping up everywhere in the automotive world. There should be some kewl ATV parts around eventually.

Old 11-22-2000 | 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

I don't mind the weight it comes in handy when towing people out and towing anything actually. Expensive is the word that comes to mind for an all aluminum frame. My SP doesn't feel heavy to me at all.

Old 11-22-2000 | 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

I like the weight for for going over small trees when I run out of trail and I can load the bike up heavily when fishing and it remains stable.Maybe it would be a good idea on the Scambler sport bikes but you do not want them folding up like the super light Raptors seem to be doing.

Old 11-22-2000 | 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

With an aluminium frame, you'll be a LITTLE BIT lighter, and A LOT more rigid. Carbon fiber is the solution. But to loose weight you have to change a lot of parts (wheels, hubs, driveshafts, pipe, floorboards -you can make aluminium nerfbar-like floorboards- and take off all you don't need). Simplify the electrical wiring, get magnesium engine covers, titanium rod, carbon fiber plastics and skidplates, get the rider to loose weight...lots of things can be dne, and most of them are f***ing expensive.

Old 11-23-2000 | 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Zorro!

Next ride I will wear only two pairs of winter pants and 2 jackets, instead of three like last time! A good couple pounds there!!!