Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman 700EFI or sportsman 500EFI

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportsman 700EFI or sportsman 500EFI

I haven't touched my bike at all for any kind of fixing .. the few times it did stall I simply restarted and kept on riding.

The fuel gauge to me isn't worth the lcd display it shows on .. don't know why it doesn't work, but it seems to be more of a low fuel indicator than a fuel gauge.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Has polaris fixed the stalling problems on the models now? And has your stailling stoped?

Old 05-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: rtboy
Has polaris fixed the stalling problems on the models now? And has your stailling stoped?
the stalling problem is 99% fixable with a simple thrttle cable adjustment, mine did it and a friends its a non issue to me. I dont see why people are making this in to a problem.

I dont think the question has been asked so I will ask it, what are your plans for the machine. if you are jst gunna be riding it and not working with it the 500 is a beast of a machine. I orig. had a purchase order in for a 700 but talked myself out of it. and got a 500. i have ridden a lot and mostly used it to clear trees from my 10 acres in northern AZ. the 500 has don evertying and more... i would save the money on the 700 and use it for a winch and the ext. warrenty.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

rtboy, I don't think there are any ongoing reliability concerns with either machine at this point. Yes, you may have something unusual pop up as you could on any brand of machine. I too debated between these two machines, but ruled out the 500 due to the difference in power to weight ratios. As stated earlier in this post , these machines are nearly identical except for the engines. The weights between the two are close also. I ride with 4 fellows who have 500's , 2 HOs and 2 EFI's. I can't tell much difference between any of the four, maybe just a little quicker acceleration with the EFI's. There is however a good bit of difference between them and 700's in the group. THE 500'S are by no means slouches though, and usually suit most riders need for power. I've been riding since I was 8, raced bikes and quads for about 12 years and still ride agressively at times at age 43. I'm changing my front springs on my 700 so I can go faster without bottoming it out so much. The rear suspension works very well. This is the only issue I've had with the 700 and I kind of figured on making this modication when I purchased it. The 500 that now belongs to my son has also been extremly reliable. If you don't plan to ride real agressively, work the machine heavily (snow plow, trailer towing,deep mud, hauling heavy loads etc.) the 500 may be all you need. If you plan on engaging in 2 or more of the things i just listed you'll probably be happier with the larger machine. Hopes this helps. Also; Don't waste your money on the extended warranty. I think if you'll do some searches and research about it you'll find it's not such a great deal. Take the winch or the cash off the top rebate if they offer it instead. Don't let the dealer know for sure which one you're planning on doing until you've got his best price, then see which way you come out the most dollars ahead. If your dealer won't work with you on this find one that will.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:15 AM
Trailblazer

Do you think that post was long enough Fireslayer???????LOL

Old 06-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BdweiserRacing8
Do you think that post was long enough Fireslayer???????LOL
Yeah, I tend to get wound up and over do it sometimes. Been a while since I've had time to post much on here: guess I'm trying to catch up some. I enjoy helping others if I can. Also, sometimes if someone jumps in here and starts bashing on anything or anyone without good factual reasons I'll jump into the mix and try to put them in their place. This is a great place to get info and even kid around some and I think most of us want to keep it that way. Sometime when I have more time I'll post one of my "novels" for you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] LOL

Old 06-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Trailblazer

LOL, please do! I know something that would be fun!!! You should make a topic on polaris. And in order to post on your topic, your post has to be really, really long. that would be cool.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Trailblazer

TextDo NOT buy Polaris!!! Bought 5000 EFI and problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2006, 01:59 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, that would be a big problem. A 5000EFI on an atv frame.

And i have a 500HO and no problems at all. So dont think cuz your 500EFI is screwed up, all polaris is screwed up. If you think that your wrong buddy.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, Stampers is one of the "bashers" I spoke of earlier. As you can see he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Polaris will not release the "5000 EFI" until sometime during the 2008 model year. Watch Stampers fall for this just like he fell over Niagra Falls (head injury) and then he fell asleep and landed on the shift and 1 keys on his keyboard.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: sportsman 700EFI or sportsman 500EFI