Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

traveling uphill

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traveling uphill

are most trails big hill 25 degrees angel or bigger? how do you tell? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default traveling uphill

The Basic rule of thumb is ride and climb the hills your comfortable riding. The Angle of assent is nothing more than a number. I've watched people ride down 80 deg hills and up hills that were more than a 45% grade. Heck I had my brother ride my bike down a 15 foot cliff on Sunday because I knew he could do it and I would have fliped at the bottom of the hill the front of my bush guard gouged out the ground. The machine can do alot but it's your skill that will keep you safe. I think that 30% is a good rule of thumb for the average rider I've taking a few limited runs at 45 deg hills and it un-nerving when you stop or loose a bit of traction or spin the wheels 2 much. 25 deg inclines are pretty safe all the way around unless you gun it or hit the rear breaks while rolling backwards.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:19 AM
Range Rover
Default traveling uphill

A good rule of thumb is you can ride up anything that if you were walking you would not have to grab a hand hold on anything to get up it.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default traveling uphill

the best thing to remember is going up is easier than coming down. alot easier

Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default traveling uphill

i came to a hill like that this past weeken that i was going to go down mud had a little mud at the bottom and was afraid that i would dig in and flip over (which i have done b4 in the past). so i went around the other side and was going to go up it instead. when i started slow and quickly relized it was almost straight up and down. so it was a good thing i didnt try it or i would've flipped it.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default traveling uphill

Let me say, and this is from much experience, try smaller hills before you tackle the bigger ones that you are uncomfortable with. get a good feel of your bikes balance and make sure to shift your weight where and when necissary. also, practice how much 'momentum' you need to get up the smaller hills. having just the right speed when you approach a hill makes all the difference between succesfully climbing the hill, and tumbling down it backwards. you want to have enough momentum to carry you effortlessly up half the incline before you begin relying on your machines torque and traction to get you up the rest of the way. if you do not have enough speed and foward momentum when attacking the hill, it is unlikley that you will be able to make up for it with just more throttle, unless you have the biggest of the big machines. too much momentum, and you may overshoot or jump the top of the hill, which is an important consideration if the crest of the hill has limited space, or trees, and or rocks or other objects in the way. also consider the hills surface, any rocks, tall grass, sticks, or other features will greatly reduce your momentum as you climb the hill. one last consideration is the hills surface, hard packed, easier, loose dirt, take consideration for your tires slipping a bit, grassy, or weedy, tires may slip even more. be sure to have good tires when climping dirt, gravel, or grassy hills. practice practice, practice is what it takes, but it also sometimes comes down to just working up the courage and going for it. keep these simple rules in mind when you practice your hill riding ,and you will soon be able to tackle the big ones. not everyone or not every bike is impervious to being squashed by the biggest hills, take it from me, i have a quadzilla 500, and a cr500, and although i have never had a problem with the cr, i did go end over end down a 100ft 60degree hill a few years back with my quadzilla. i was in second gear, my front wheels popped out of the much narrower grooves, and i went sidesways thru the tall weeds, thus loosing my momentum, i tried to downshift into 1st, but did'nt have the time, before i was almost to the top. i had a very limited space to crest the hill, so i was affraid to overshoot it with too much throttle, well, it was already done, my front wheels just about crested, and the bike stalled from the weeds taking down my momentum, all i could do was try to bail before the bike started going backwards...i could'nt clear out all the way, and the bikes nerf bar came down on the jawline of my helmet. thats a 385lb. bike, so ALWAYS wear a HELMET, full face. bent my right side a-arm all to hell, and broke my glasses. only one way out of that valley i was in and that was up that hill. i had to go up it again about 15mins after that wreck, so i made it the second time. i still hill climb, but i avoid any heavily rutted paths, and always go down a hill first if possible. another rule of mine is i always try to see whats on the other side of a hill or jump. well, hope i hav'nt preached too much, just don't want anyone to get hurt. i have been riding for over 23years and have never had any major injuries, so don't be affraid to tackle difficult terrain, just use your common sense, and don't let others pressure you into something your not comfortable with. better safe than sorry. ride on brothers! -tom, bigdog500

Old 08-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default traveling uphill

Like was stated practice on the smaller hills and work your way up to the bigger ones.But always be totally comitted to making the hill when you start out,by this I mean hit it like you know you are going to make it dont hemhaw around.I personally dont like getting much of a run at a hill.Just hit the 4x4 button and let the 500ccs pull the hill like it is nothing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Down hills you need to remember GRAVITY and like an old timer told me once "when in dought-gas it" this really works.But you need to know the balance spots and the reaction of your machine along with being capable of handling your machine.And last but not least wear a helmet.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default traveling uphill

remember, once youve cleared the hill (as in 90% sure you have enough momentum to not fall back down), lean back. last year me and a predator were riding in a pit finding different routes to climb a ~50 degree mountain. well, as usual i put it in 2nd and hammered it. i cleared it alright...except i didnt realize i had jumped up and was still leaning forward. needless to say i went over the front and the quad frontflipped on me.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default traveling uphill

ftwflh made a good point. if you have a 4x4, it is unlikley you will experience many of the difficulties i outlined in my post. i was writing from the assumption that we were talking about 4x2 quads. my bad. i'm affraid i don't have much experience with 4x4 quads, so i'll leave that up to you utility guys. i imagine that many of the same priciples about shifting weight and picking a good line are the same, but the thing about momentum and throttle are probably a bit different. -Regaurdless of what your riding, use your common sense, based on your experience with your machine, and you should do fine. 'Where theres a hill, theres a way!' -Later. -Tom.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Range Rover
Default traveling uphill

speed will get you up any hill but the hill climbs I do up here in michigan the trails are very tight going up the hill and have bends and things going up. I have a 660 and have meet many hills I could not climb but all i do it pull the front brake and back down .

Quick Reply: traveling uphill