Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Replaceing front CV joint, SP600 ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaceing front CV joint, SP600 ??

I trashed a front cv joint a couple months ago, from playing in the mud with a ripped boot. I finally ordered a new joint and boot kit that should be here tomorrow.

So I took it apart this afternoon and found the end of the axle shaft pretty beat up. I had to file the end down and get the circlip out. I finally got circlip out in a few pieces and filed new splines in the end of the shaft to get the inner cup off of the shaft. At this point I'd rather not replce the axle shaft, but can't decide if I can get away with not putting a new circlip back on the end. What do you guys think? I dont think it will pull apart at stock height but I'm not sure.

Also how do you get the axle out of the center "differential" ? I thought it had a circlip that held it also but I couldn't get it to pull out, it would have been a lot easier to work on if I could have pulled it off.

Thanks, Jeff

Old 09-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

there are no guarantees running on that axle without the proper parts, the last thing you want is it failing 40km into a ride. as far as the axle from the hub, some times they are rusted and hard to get out but it does just pull out. my 700 had the same thing happen and i had to put vice grips on the shaft and tap it with a hammer. when you put everything back together put a little grease or anti seeze on the splines, that should help get the shaft out if you ever tear another boot

Old 09-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply stealth. The dealer had a the circlip in stock, So I'm gonna try to put it back in. The dealer's mechanic told me the earlier atvs didn't have the circlip, and wasn't to concerned if it wouldn't go back in.

CV joint didn't get here yet, hopfully I'll get it back together tomorrow.

Thanks, Jeff

Old 09-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

Not having great luck today.

I filed on the shaft for a while to get the circlip back in, but the end is still to buggered up to use it. Part of the circlip always comes out of the splines. So I gave up on it and put the cv joint on with out it.

Got the cv joint and the boot full of grease and on the shaft, and clamped on I thought. After getting the axle back in, and the hub tightened up I relized the boot wasn't turning with the shaft. The part of the clamp (EPI boot) where it folds over and clamps, catches on the strut and keeps the boot from turning. I tried tightening it up more but it broke instead. I gave up on it for tonight, I'll have to see If I can get the factory clamp on it tomorrow.

Did I do somthing wrong on the clamp, or have other people had the same problem?

Thanks, Jeff