Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stalling and Spuddering?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling and Spuddering?

Ok, since you cant find but three carb parts at the polaris dealer for these things, I ended up just doing a soak and Clean on this thing. After figuring out Im a Dumb a$$ that cant follow directions on how to put the carb back together, It finally started and ran like a top for about 1 minute. Then it spuddered out and died. Thats when I noticed fuel draining out the overflow at the bottom of the bowl. Im assuming that the float is stuck or I messed up the adjustment somehow putting it back together. Is this what is causeing it want to die, otr do I need to be searching elswhere. I also noticed fuel comming out the vent hoses. Is this the same thing. In draining the fuel I saw the petcock doesnt shut the fuel off. I cant imagine why something this simple isnt working, but do I need to replace it, or can it be repaired. How can I get it running to take hunting tomorrow.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound's like the float is sticking or wrong float height adjustment , and the shutoff valve has an Oring that is bad ; you can get new Oring for the cutoff valve ! I don't know about the float height spec. you'll need to get that info from your dealer ! Hope this help's , oh i edited the reply you should also check your valve clearance's while you're at it if you haven't already ! .................williebee

Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks you guys for all your help. Your the Greatest!!!!! I went in and reajusted the float, hooked up the hoses, and wammo, started right up. I let it warm and started hitting the throttle and seems to be doing fine. Once I get a few things bolted back in place I'll see how she is riding. I have the mixture screw at 1 1/2 out. What am I looking for as far as fine tuneing? The throttle seems a little sluggish, and a little Black smoke out the exhaused when you Romp on it. Do I need to lean it? Also, how far in should the choke cable be screwed into the carb?
Thanks
Buk