Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

brake help ASAP!! riding tommorrow and no master cyl. pressure!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake help ASAP!! riding tommorrow and no master cyl. pressure!

ok heres what it is a 99 scrambler 500. problem is it wont pump up lines are full and bleed no bubbles but when i try to build pressure by pumping the hand brake (master cyl.) it makes a woosh sound like air is passing by a seal. i took the master cyl. apart had some crap in it cleaned it up all nice. noticed that the closes seal to the line was kinda wrinkly. not like broken or bad just wavy. the second seal was fine and the seal that holds the piston in was fine as well. there was no cracks or breaks in the seal. i have had it pump up to a certain extent when we tapped on it but then it would act like it would just bleed itsself off. there is flow in the master cyl. when i squiz it i can see fluid cycle through the resevior.
thanks for the help
wanting to go to badlands but need the brakes first [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like its time for a rebuild kit. the rubbers might be worn just enough to cause it to not to hold pressure.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:44 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES!!!!!Nobody wants to take a chance with bad rubbers!!!!!!!!!....Caper..

Old 12-30-2006, 03:58 AM
Pro Rider

Just for s#!ts and giggles you should try taking both calipers off depressing the cylinders ,both at the same time,with c-clamps .Leave the clamps on and rebleed your brakes. Im am totally asuming you have front discs not drums. Sometimes you can get air in the cylinders that get bypassed by the bleeders

Old 12-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a bad rear caliper seal. The same thing happened to me with my Scrambler and it did just the same things yours is doing.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey all thanks for the replys i ended up going to the dealer ship and checkin to see if they had anything that could help. luckly they did! had a new piston and seals. ended up being a swollen first seal. was wavy and wouldnt push or hold the pressure. so i got it fixed that day which would have been saturday. took it to badlands yesterday in attica Indiana and rode the crap out of her! was awesome and only flipped it down a 50 foot hill once lol! had a couple things bent steering stem and handle bars front bumper. but that was it got back on her at the bottom of the hill with about 10 of my buddies watching in amazment when it started right up! through her in gear and flung sand at everyone lol. anyways thanks for the help!

oh p.s. no broken bones i just jumped off at the right time and watched her tumble [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] just glad it wasnt anything serious considering this was the first time i have actually gotten to ride it hard since the new cam [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]