Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plow question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow question?

Originally posted by: brutus450
I have no doubts what a great job a plow on a atv would do on the driveway but how do they do when the snow plow comes by and plows the end of your driveway in with 3-4 feet high and 5-6 feet wide hardpacked snow bank? I would love to get one but I worry about the end of the driveway. I have a 1987 dodge ram charger with a 6 foot plow in 4 wheel drive barely get through it and the truck has monster tires on it.

I know this doesnt compare but I had a plow on my 14hp Honda tractor and it's dead impossible for that to get through the end of the driveway. Got the tractor stuck everytime with chains on the tires

How tough can atv plows get through the banks - hype it up cuz I really do want one for my 450!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good Question.... Has anyone delt with this? What about the heavy wet snow that causes all the problems.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Plow question?

woa,, you never said 3-4 foot banks... were is this .. i have no problem cleaning the end of my road , but then agin i live in michigan.... i never said my (little) 400 was superqaud but it does very well and no i dont run chains on the quad( the john deer had some).. i suppose a sand bag or two woulnt hurt but i have not had to do that either.....

Old 01-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plow question?

buffsabres, that sounds exactly like me. It is a great way to get out of the house, the neighbors all love and envy you and your wife thinks you are hard at work. I go up and down the entire street where I live and watch everyone just looking out there windows just loving me. I'm looking forward to the cases of beer I think I'm gonna get at the end of the year.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Trailblazer
Default Plow question?

Originally posted by: Groogs
buffsabres, that sounds exactly like me. It is a great way to get out of the house, the neighbors all love and envy you and your wife thinks you are hard at work. I go up and down the entire street where I live and watch everyone just looking out there windows just loving me. I'm looking forward to the cases of beer I think I'm gonna get at the end of the year.

I hear ya buddy, you can be a hero for doing something I want to do. It is perfect!!! I guess I just have to decide on the size now.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plow question?

MMMMMMM.BEER

Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plow question?

The weight of the mount has also caused the front end to sag a bit. That coupled with the lost inch has made a difference. Could use a set fo hd springs, but that in turm reduces the comfort level.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plow question?

You want the plow wider because when it is angled you lose width. I have a 52 inch plow. The other thing to consider is the depth of snow you are plowing. Too deep and too wide and you will put a lot of stress on your machine.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plow question?

Originally posted by: breezes
The weight of the mount has also caused the front end to sag a bit. That coupled with the lost inch has made a difference. Could use a set fo hd springs, but that in turm reduces the comfort level.
What machine do you have it on and how much does your machine sag?
How big do I have to get so that if I angle it a little I still won't be running over snow with my tires? I am eyeing the 56" razor.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Range Rover
Default Plow question?

I have a 60" Eagle plow and its HD ( on a 06 500ho),I have side scoops that stick out 13" from the cutting edge, and a pipe on the cutting edge so it wont dig in to the yard, I run it right on the ground and it does a great job, I have a sand bag on the rear rack, I dont use chains, Executioner tires aired down, HL Lift springs on the front, sag is around 1 1/2 to 2in.,I can carry a lot of snow with the side scoops and it has no problem pushing it, and ya you get to ride!

Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Range Rover
Default Plow question?

One big disadvantage of a 60" plow.....Cant do any sidewalks/walkways.

the only thing I need a shovel for is my front stoop.

food for thought.

Quick Reply: Plow question?