Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone who's had the Hawkeye subframe job ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone who's had the Haweye subframe job ...

... ArmyHawkeye ... anyone else who has had the rear subframe replacement, or seen both units... would you recognize the corrected subframe if I posted a photo?

Thirty hours on my Hawkeye, 320LB rider, riding kinda hard. I checked the mounting tabs again today very carefully. I saw nothing like a crack or chip in paint, or any sign of failure. They don't LOOK fragile.

I've had no carb probs. I believe this one is a late-production of the 06 - it was the last one in stock. I wonder if I might have the corrected rear subframe. (prolly wishful thinking)

If anyone has seen both, and might tell from looking (& would be willing to render an opinion), I'd happily post a photo.

TIA

Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Anyone who's had the Hawkeye subframe job ...

I have Only heard of one person having broken subframes , Although i think it could be a factory problem i still tend to lean more to more than aggressive riding styles have broken these parts, Im 200 pounds and have a cousin that rides it and she weighs 300 pounds and it has never broken or even given me much of a problem, mine to is a late 06 , Ive ridden this thing loaded with weight going down the canadian river with 2 people on it and it never broke anything, Ive also jumped this thing 20 feet in distance accidentlly hitting a sand bank, Ive gotten under there and looked but cant find any problem.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

I been trying to break mine, so far no luck. My dealer has sold several Hawkeyes and the only thing he seen break was halfshafts and these were by the same person. I notice the dealer really greased it well during make ready, wonder if that has anything to do with it. Oh, I weigh 250lbs too.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Im going riding this weekend down at the river again, I spend to much time at the river but it will be fun, ill see about thrashing real good and posting the videos on you tube, a BUDDY has built a redneck hummer out of a 4wd chevy so i can post that as well,,it should be an eventful weekend for me and i will try real hard to break something..no not really god forbid and the river dont rise. Your hawkeye needs to be greased after id say 30 days of riding, Ive greased mine but it didnt need any at all.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: XavierOnasis
... ArmyHawkeye ... anyone else who has had the rear subframe replacement, or seen both units... would you recognize the corrected subframe if I posted a photo?Thirty hours on my Hawkeye, 320LB rider, riding kinda hard. I checked the mounting tabs again today very carefully. I saw nothing like a crack or chip in paint, or any sign of failure. They don't LOOK fragile. I've had no carb probs. I believe this one is a late-production of the 06 - it was the last one in stock. I wonder if I might have the corrected rear subframe. (prolly wishful thinking)If anyone has seen both, and might tell from looking (& would be willing to render an opinion), I'd happily post a photo. TIA
Compare yours to an 07, the difference is easy to see at the front arm mounting bracket. I installed the 07 subframe on my 06 due to small cracks in the top welds, warranty took care of it.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

We've got 2 Hawkeyes and both broke the rear sub-frames at 1300 miles. Both were replaced with the '06 sub-frame. Maybe at 2600 miles we can get the better '07 sub-frames. Has anyone else had float sticking/flooding problems with the Hawkeye? One of our machines has been plauged with this problem. In fact, it's doing it again now.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

for cracks look at

http://members.chello.nl/g.snellink/foto_quad.html

first picture is the subframe with cracks

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

The Metal doesnt look like it just broke it looks lik a rip, caused from to much jumping, now i can say that if it cant take a beating ID be a taken it back to the dealer and give em their crap back, Or take it to a welder and have him fab up a stronger system for you.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

no jumping, but I ride it like my downhill mountainbike.

no kidding speeds are half or less I reach with my downhill bike thats probberbly the reason why the rear brake's were fading while gonig down hill.

but back to the rear frame, I think it was falling appart for a longer period becuase there was a squiking sound like metal rubbin together I thought it were the
rubber parts in the IRS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img], now i know better after welding the sound was gone and the steering much tighter.

about the welding its was done at a local polaris dealer in the french alpes, my friend said it looked like I quote "that crows had been shitting on it, and the crows were from the time they did not have ases yet" I however was happy to ride my hawkeye again next thursday I am going to the dealer here in holland because the parts are there to be installed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 09-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

I would love to ride in the Swiss Alps, Hey if the weld works then let it work, doesnt matter how it looks, Kinda like a ugly woman Just turn the lights off and let her cook.

Quick Reply: Anyone who's had the Hawkeye subframe job ...