Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help with '02 Scrambler - No Forward or Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 02 Scrambler - No Forward or Reverse

I was riding my scrambler yesterday down the road. I was probably doing about 50 miles / hour. I heard something make a pop like noise and I thought I blew a tire. I pulled over and the tire was okay. I tried to put it back into drive and go but it was making a "clicking" and "grinding" sort of noise. I then realized I still had the thing in 4 wheel drive. I know I shouldn't be driving at those speeds or on pavement period in 4 wheel drive so I think the problem was caused by me doing so. The ATV is automatic & chain driven (I think all the scramblers are). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Default Help with '02 Scrambler - No Forward or Reverse

have u checked ur transmition at all it could have striped the gears in the trasn...or set the chain off....just mi to cents

Old 03-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are you broke the main chain inside the tranny.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Check to make sure your front sprocket is still on the shaft. I wernt through the same thing on my TB and the front sprocket had slid of the shaft. I didn't have a pop noise tho. Just check the little thingsa before you go taking apart the tranny, but it does sound like the tranny chain to me.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wanted to add some additional details that may or may not be helpful in determining the problem.

When in neutral or reverse the respective indicators display properly. When I put it in Drive the "D" indicator does not come on. Everything is blank, no indicator lights are on.

My main Drive Chain is not broken but exceptional loose. I put two people on it but it didn't tighten up at all. It's possible it was that loose before the incident, I'm not sure but I don't think it was.

I also want to be more descriptive with the noise. It?s funny but the more I think about it, I don?t think there was a ?pop? noise. I was doing 50 when I heard what sounded like I was driving on a flat left front tire.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

It ended up being the Main Tranmission Belt. Under the black panel on the left side (by your left foot). It cost me $47 to replace it.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by: highoutput
I wanted to add some additional details that may or may not be helpful in determining the problem.

When in neutral or reverse the respective indicators display properly. When I put it in Drive the "D" indicator does not come on. Everything is blank, no indicator lights are on.

My main Drive Chain is not broken but exceptional loose. I put two people on it but it didn't tighten up at all. It's possible it was that loose before the incident, I'm not sure but I don't think it was.

I also want to be more descriptive with the noise. It?s funny but the more I think about it, I don?t think there was a ?pop? noise. I was doing 50 when I heard what sounded like I was driving on a flat left front tire.

Thanks for the help.
what are u gonna do about that chain....mi tb chain was really loose one night and i got home to try to tighten it p and it wouldnt tighten the chain was warn out....now did urs tighten up at all