Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Whats the deepest you can plow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 09:56 PM
BLH
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the deepest snow you can plow? The wet heavy stuff. What plow system is the best for the money? I live in upstate NY, the snow now is about 12" to 14", but when the plowtruck goes by the drive, its sometimes 20" to 25" and its very heavy. Would I be able to use an ATV plow? Now I use a gravely tractor with a snowbower. tahnks

Old 12-24-2000, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Bruce

20 to 25 inches of wet heavy snow will be about the max for an atv plow. You can push quite a bit, but sometimes you just need to take your time and not expect to push the entire drift all at once. Once you get an area opened up, you can whip it pretty easy. I am not sure what is the best plow for deep snow. Cycle Country, Moose, and CMP all make good plows. You can get all sorts of different types of plows. Some are 50 or 60 inch straight blades. Some are hinged and will adjust to form a V shape. Moose even makes one that is similar to the ones the highway departments uses. It is higher on one side than the other in order to throw the snow to one side. If you are pushing deep snow, most of the manufacturers make rubber flaps that go on the top of the plow to deflect the snow down. Hope this helps. Have a Merry Christmas.

P.S. I would like to thank you for serving in our military. It is often a thankless job, but there are people out here that do appreciate it. It was 10 years ago this year I was preparing to go to Desert Storm. Talk about being a scared young kid. If I got nothing more out of the army, it was to appreciate the men and women serving in the military, especially during the holidays. You and your family have a Happy Holidays.

Old 12-24-2000, 12:29 PM
BLH
Pro Rider

Thank you.

Old 12-24-2000, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

U can have the blade in the up position the first time and then the second time all the way down

Old 12-27-2000, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

Sory to say that you will not be able to plow as much snow as the gravely snowblower can handle...

If you have the money... Polaris does make a snow blower attachment. looks good but $$$

PS I have an old gravely snowblower... they do move impressive amounts of snow...

Old 01-11-2001, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

I had these pictures from December 1999 that I thought y'all might enjoy. The snow is deep, but it is POWDER, not the wet - heavy stuff.

Old 01-11-2001, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer

ForestTrails -

Wow, Buffalo. I hear you have gotten over 100" of snow this year already... I don't think we ever got that much when I lived up there. Where do you ride? I am only about 2 hours from Buffalo. Always looking for new places within a couple hours.

BLH -

Where is Carthage, NY???

Old 01-11-2001, 01:25 PM
BLH
Pro Rider

Ya Buffalo has gotten a lot this year. So have we up here. Carthage is in the uper part of the state. I’m just about 45 miles from Canada were the St Lawrence and the Lake meet. This has been a terrible winter so far. We’ve gotten more snow so far then we did all last year. I don’t mind the snow, but the temperatures have been extremely low as well. Its hard to enjoy yourself at below 0.
I got a Polaris plow, the 48” straight blade, so far it does just fine, works better than I expected. I’ve seen on the forum that the Polaris blades are light and seem cheep. I think it as heavy as it needs to be, but only time and use will tell.

Old 01-11-2001, 04:32 PM
Range Rover

You may want to add some extra wieght to your quad. i did and it made a world of differance in plowing, especialy when its the wet heavy snow.
matty

Old 01-11-2001, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Tim....
I took alook at your snow plowing pictures and noticed that the snow was sticking to your plow. I would like to suggest spraying some silicon lubricant or even PAM on your blade then wipe it and let it sit a bit before using. This will make the snow roll off the blade and it makes a big difference when plowing that much snow. I just recently added an 18" piece of conveyer belting to the top of my riding partners Kimpex plow. This really made a big difference for him as well. I use a 60" Moose County Plow the tapered style....18" high on the low side 28" high on the high side plus a 6" rubber extension on top of that. We tend to get some good snow falls up here so you need something that will push deep snow.

Quick Reply: Whats the deepest you can plow?