Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

raptor candy apple red paint question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor candy apple red paint question

05 660. just wondering on a dupont or other color match code. i;m trying to match . someone suggested colorrite.com but, at 34 a can plus 34 for the base they say i need to acheive the right color, plus clear, plus shipping . we're looking at almost a 100.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!! just to touch up a small area !!!!!!!!. i know i can get dupont mixed w/ clear already in a aerosol for about 25.00. just wondering if anybody has any ideas or brands/codes??

thanks

Old 05-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Range Rover

also, i know they have the touch up pens but that will not turn out very nice.................

Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

I know we have an AutoValue here in Faribault that will take a picture of your paint with a digital camera, and then they can mix an aerosol of Dupont for you that will match. There must be other places especially in the Twin Cities that can do that sort of service.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

The problem with trying to match tri coat paint (candy colors) in a touch up situation is after you spray your ground coat you then spray your mid coat which could take 3 to 4 coats to acheive the desired results, but as you go to belnd into the existing paint it gets darker with each pass so your repaired area always looks light in comparison to what your trying to belnd into and match. I just refinish the entire part, I make up a set of test panels and spray the ground coat then 2 mid coats and clear the first test panel then 3 mids on the second and 4 or the 3rd and let them dry completley then I pick the best match and spray the part. The dupont Chroma vision color matching system works well

Old 05-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Range Rover

brian, the one here in st.paul use to do the camera thing. i can try mpls. thanks.......you need to come along w/ shawn and i and others next time. its a crying shame that yfz stays bottled up at tri county.lol

Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

We carry PPG its a base coat clear coat. Do you have a paint number or color name?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Range Rover

thanks , i can try to get one...

Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Dont tell me you already scratched up the new ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Speeddrive1
Dont tell me you already scratched up the new ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

yea, i guess they call them war wounds huh ? i call them ugly!! motoboots w/ tips like andys. rubbed on frame. the shift lever and engine case also got used

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] i'm going to touch up then put some clear film like the cars do, on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] this thing aint gonna have any scratches on it on my clock[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]:

Old 05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Same thing happened on my red frame of my YFZ after Tri-County Ride #1. Right down to the frame, and the plastics looked a year old. But ya gotta have boots, so it's just the price of playing.

I definitely have to get out on some trails with this thing. Even though people say the YFZ isn't a trail quad, I still think in some ways it has better manners than my Scrambler. I guess we'll see.

Quick Reply: raptor candy apple red paint question