Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 Explorer mod's

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 04:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys I've just learned about this site and find there is a lot of usefull information.I have a 99 Explorer with 2000 miles on it.My mods are EPI clutch kit,K&N filter and jet's,25 inch bearclaw tires 12.5 inch rears and 8 inch fronts.I have the same trouble as some others with my trottle freezing wide open for a couple of seconds.I was wondering if parking the quad in a heated garage has something to do with this(hot/cold),and would it be better to park it in the cold most of the time?It seems to happen less with the 95 to 98 models.Also is there something i can spray in the oil injection box that i have to dry out to keep it from freezing.I have to tell you sraight off that i don't have the big bucks to do major mods but would like to perform some low cost mods on my bike to get the extra edge on my 400 and 500 buddies.I would like to know what are the best products with out being 2 noisy and don't want to screw around with the relibility of my bike.I ride in the + 5 degres to - 20 degres mostly on trails but when i get a chance i love to play in the mud and snow.I also love the really rough stuff and greatly appreciate the (true 4 wheel drive)on my bike.The only bike that i find can follow me in the rough stuff and mud outside of Polaris is the Traxter 500,well anyway that's another story.Thanks for the help guys and i am looking forward to trying to help others and i do a the work on my bike myself and have been working on polaris since 96 .Bye.

Myself 99 Explorer 4x4
Father 99 Magnum 4x4
Brother 96 Sportman 4x4
Cousin 2000 Sportman HO 4x4

Old 12-26-2000, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Spraying wd-40 in the injection pump box (after drying it out good) seems to help on the freezing thing. Also squirt a little in the block where the two cables join the one. This is behind the left side cover below the gas tank. Hope it helps.

Old 12-26-2000, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

SteveXplor, what kind of power do you want? Low end,top,middle? You can change the sprockets on your bike and it'll make a big difference. Don't change the countershaft sprocket. It will mess with the 4wd. I put a smaller countershaft sprocket on mine, went down 2 teeth. It gave it a lot more low end power, but took a lot off the top end. The front wheels wouldn't hook up right either. I went down 4 teeth on the rear and it gave it back it's top end and the 4wd works fine now. I put a delta v-force reed cage on mine. It made a huge difference. It gave it a lot more snap in the throttle. Another thing you can do is cut another hole in the top of your airbox, just on the top where the rubber boot goes on. It'll give it more airflow and give it more power. I went from the stock 34mm mikuni carb to the 39mm kehihn carb. That gave it more mid to top end. It really flies top end now. The carb ran about 230 bucks. You should try http://www.hotseatperfomance.com http://www.ritterracing.com and http://www.hpdracing.com for more ideas on power mods.

Old 12-27-2000, 12:36 AM
Range Rover

FARM123 thanks for the tip.Still like to now if parking the bike in a heated garage and taking it out to ride in the cold has something to do with the freezing of the oil injecting case.MEANGREENMACHINE thanks alot for the advice,I like my top speed of 60 miles per hour so changing the sprokets will either slow me down or i lose low end power.I really don't have the cash for a carb right now,the new windows on the house come first,at least thats what my wife say's hehe.As for cutting a hole in the airbox,well we often go across deep rivers when riding so i don't think it would work.As for the V force reed cage,well that is something that i would like.I find that there is a lot of lag when punching the trottle,my cousin's 500 HO would take about 2 bike lengths off the start with me passing him after and taking about 5 bike lengths with the top speed about the same.Thanks again guys

Old 12-27-2000, 12:40 AM
Range Rover
Old 12-27-2000, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Xplorer is often in a heating polebarn.I have never had any problems related to the freezing of the oil injection unit from the weather differance's from inside to outside,good luck,
Bill