Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

06 500 Sportsman running rough

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 500 Sportsman running rough

Machine sits at idle at 2400 than drops off to 1200 just sitting there. It sounds to me like it is running low on fuel.
Leaning out and shutting down.
Loosen the gas cap...

Make sure the vent on the gas cap is not clogged with debris
This would cause a slight vacuum in the tank and prevent a positive flow of fuel,
inhibiting or straining the Fragile diaphragm in the pump not to move in a full capacity changing the sound of it's operation.

Also

If you had time to do a short test.
Remove the filter so you can place your hand over the air flow intake run the machine at idle like you mentioned and when the Rs start to drop place your hand so you can restrict some of the air flow like an artificial choke.
See if the R's come back up or dies in that short time.
This may get you in the ball park whether it is lack of fuel or not.

The symptoms sound so simple if it were the diaphragm failing the machine would not run for that long of a time to permit a drop in R's. It would use what is in the line and quickly die.

Hence: At start the tank pressure is normal after running it at idle the pump pulling the fuel from the tank the volume of fuel in the tank needs to be replace with a positive air flow. With a clogged tank vent the pump stains to get the fuel when the vacuum in the tank is greater than what the pump can draw in a short time the fuel mix will lean out, R's drop and engine shuts down.
After an hour at the shop at 75 dollars an hour or more, it has been a long time since I seen the rates, it might be ideal to check it out before loading it up and traveling to the money pit.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Range Rover

Took the machine on tuesday and they looked at first thing yesterday morning. At first they thought it was the fuel pump but did a pressure test and it was good. They checked they spark on the spark plug and it was still good. They hooked it up to the computer and no codes came up at all. After I was done work I stopped in and talked to them. They had three more possible things it could be, one was puting in a new coil, replacing the ECU and I forget what the third one was. They spent 4 hours on it yesterday and as far as I know have spent all day today working on it. Thank goodness its going through warranty, i had them check that out before they started taking it apart. Will keep you guys posted.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: buckaroo50

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

i just love people who have other brands for run the polaris down then give bad info to help fix it.it makes me laugh.lol.</end quote></div>

Wasn't running it down, just making a little joke so get off it. Plus even tho' it may be FI, which I didn't realize, chances are he still could put some carb/fuelinjector cleaner in it and it probably would help. The principles are still the same whether it be FI or carb. It appears that he is running rich. Obstructed air or fuel or fouled plug.

I didn't see you offer any help, except shoot your mouth off. If you think my info is bad where is yours. And since you are so smart tell me what his problem is. And tell me he doesn't have a sparkplug, CDI or any valves. And it is people like you that don't offer anything, but just want to jump in and criticize and stir up a 'hornets nest'.

Hobbles is the only other one that offered any assistance.

At least I took the time to stop and try and help. Whether I am accurate or not, is besides the point at least I offered to help, which is more than I can say for some of his fellow Polaris owners. So KMA.</end quote></div>

i truley love the (kma=kiss my ***) comment from truely a gifted speaker as your self and sure the moderators dont mind people as your self truely insulting ways. i also was adding humor to the question. as far as myself i dont go to other brand forums to add info when i have no idear how they work except for the same principles. i think if you took a poll i have helped my fair share. anyways now that you have given your opinion of my self lets see if someone can help this gentalman w/ the problem. it does almost sound like an air proble where it idles high then drops. i wonder if the modul or ecm is going bad. it does seem to have alot of jobs. w/ a efi its hard to get a handle on it when the compute comes up w/ no codes. good luck and sorry for the disrupption in your post.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Range Rover

Thanks Stendori, thats exactly what I thought either an air problem or a fuel problem somwhere. The mechanics at my dealership are completely stumped and are running out of reasons what it could be. Apparently they ordered a new coil for it today and if that doesn't work there gonna replace the ECM. I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has posted reply's to my topic, the help has been greatly appreciated.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

let us all know what they find for the problem so we can learn what to look for as well. im glad you are getting it fixed under warranty.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talk to your dealer & have them reflash the ecm , it sets the computer back to factory settings , they need to get an authorization # from the digital wrench diag program , there has been a problem with the efi's slipping out of the factory perameters! it only takes 15 mins. to do,if they have the program!

Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mines was doing the same thing. turns out it was an broken wire around the air intake. I forgot what the wire does but it is pink in color