Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

noisy 400 sportsman help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisy 400 sportsman help!!!

I bought a '04 Sportsman 400 with 30 hours on it and now has 45 at the most. When I cruise down the road, the front end sounds like something is loose. I had the dealer look at it and they think it is a bearing, but would not know with out tearing apart and alot of money. They think a possible bearing... any ideas....can this be fixed myself?

Second is taking off in high gear.... it clunky and noisy until it gets going.... the dealer thinks it is the high gear. Again, anyone with ideas?

I just hate to think a quad with 45 hours needs all this work.... Please help!!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

With that little of hours, I would hope it's not too serious. I would have a look at your front brakes first. Make sure that everything is moving freely and theres is nothing stuck in there.

As for taking off in high, maybe a hourglassed belt?? Or maybe noisy clutches??

Maybe a little more detail might help

Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

The front end does sound like something is just rattling... I have checked over everything and all seems tight. I did check the brakes and all is moving freely and nothing is loose.

For the rear, if you give it minimal gas in high it kind surges and jerks with a weird quiet clunking sound and then gets going with no problem. If i floor it, it goes without a problem and I don't notice the sound.

Thanks for your time!! I am not really ready to dump alot of money into this .... yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

Well my 04.5 sp 500 makes the exact same sound in the front end as yours does. Right at 20 MPH it will start clanking a bit but makes no noise under this speed. When mine was new the front end was stuck in AWD so the dealer fixed it and I have noticed the noise after this, but not 100% sure that it was not making the noise before the fix. I have logged on many hours with this noise and I do not intend on having it looked at.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Check the belt for a flat or grazed spot. It does not take long to ruin a belt if a person is riding in high range in a low range situation. I also have a low speed rattle which seems to come from the front pull start side of the ATV. I think front brake pads one one wheel rattling around.

I had one bad noise I thought might be a bad exspensive thing but it turned out to be a small cracked heat shield for the muffler bracket under the seat,,a hose clamp shut that one up nicely.

Actually, the ATV makes so many new and strange noises that come and go I,m just starting to ignore them now.[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 08-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appriciate the help, I am new to the Polaris world. That is relieving to hear that someone else is having the same noise issues. I will just wait out the noise in the front.

The high gear issue, I bought it from a female friend of mine, and I bet you guys are right.... It was probably not put into low when needed. I am not used to belt drive ATV's, so I am not sure what they do when they get bad. Are the belt easy to get to and inspect, and would it be wise just to buy a new one and put it on since I don't have any ideas on how this was rode for the first 30 hours of it life?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:24 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Read this post about a new Polaris.http://forums.atvconnection.co...tid/11/threadid/524796

As for getting a new belt ,if you have it apart might as well but a new one on and make your own riding history with it.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks TLC!!! You have sure taken some weight off my shoulders. I will just write this noise off as "normal". Thanks again for taking time to give some advise.