Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Battery/ Starter Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery/ Starter Problem???

Hello folks. Its been a while since Ive visited. Guess I lost a bit of interest in riding but now, I'm wanting to get back into it....EXCEPT, I'm having a starter problem and maybe someone can help? My battery loses charge from non-use. Ive got an 06' Sportsman 800. The dealer said to use a battery tender which I now use. It, (The tender) has idiot lights which indicate the battery is fully charged however, the starter has a hard time turning over initially, then finally does turn over barely enuff to start the motor. After going on rides of 20/30 miles, the battery/ starter problem still seems weak to operate, (NO CHANGE). Is there a check I can accomplish to determine if the battery or starter are bad? I have under two hundred miles on this machine and all the connections are still clean and not corroded. The battery tender shows green. The dealer said he checked the charging system and it worked as advertised and suggested the tender because of non-use. I'm lost......Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

go in the diagnostic mode and check the volage when its off(should be aorund 12.5) and check it w/ it running idled up around 1/4 throttle and it should be high 13.? volts. when you charged the battery did you let it sit to see if it will hold a charge w/out using it? make sure the voltage is up or the starter i think will drag. let me know. good hearing from you again.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Range Rover

Thanks Steve. I will do these checks today. Never gave the diagnostics a thought, (Hope I can remember how to use them ;-))I never did let the battery sit after charge and check it because the tender is suppose to keep it maintained at full all the time so I figured, why bother. I guess you are saying that the tender may indicate full charge however when disconnected, the battery will drain rapidly? I appreciate your help. Will

Old 09-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Range Rover

Here are the results my diagnostic check revealed;

Just unplugged the battery tender which said , "Battery fully charged".....With engine off; 9.9 volts

With engine running at 1/4 throttle; 14.1 volts

Looks as if my battery is weak and my charging system is working properly. Why would the battery tender say it was fully charged when it wasnt? Any comments? Also, do I need to purchase a new battery from the dealer or are after market batteries o.k. from VIP or such?

Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A battery tender MAINTAINS a battery charge. A battery CHARGER restores a low or dead battery. A battery tender puts out around 1 amp, a (motorcycle) charger, 2 amps. You need to charge the battery with a 2 amp charger to get it to a full 12 volts, and then put the battery tender on it to hold it at 12 volts.

Most folks buy a combo motorcycle battery charger / tender that automatically charges up the battery, the switches to maintainence mode to hold 12 volts. And I would disconnect the battery from the quad when charging / maintaining it so that all the current goes to the battery.

Sorry for using caps to emphasize differences, there is just no way to italicize words.

Hope this helps.

Hefty

Old 09-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to answer your battery question. You can buy any battery you want, you don't need to buy from the dealer. You will need to buy a battery of the same GROUP as yours, and the same or higher AMPS capacity as yours, in order for it to work properly. As to brands, most people have the best luck with YUASA or Odyssey.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey will, sounds like the battery is toast. if you have a real battery charger, charge up the battery to full. then let it sit overnite unhooked and then test it the next day to see if it held the full volt charge or it started loosing. if it is loosing the battery is junk or going to be shorty. cant remeber, is that a sealed battery or can you add fluid? if you can, check it to make sure its full of fluid. i wouldnt go back to friend&friend to buy a battery as i would go to carquest or napa.

Trending Topics

Old 09-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HeftyLefty

A battery tender MAINTAINS a battery charge. A battery CHARGER restores a low or dead battery. A battery tender puts out around 1 amp, a (motorcycle) charger, 2 amps. You need to charge the battery with a 2 amp charger to get it to a full 12 volts, and then put the battery tender on it to hold it at 12 volts.

Most folks buy a combo motorcycle battery charger / tender that automatically charges up the battery, the switches to maintainence mode to hold 12 volts. And I would disconnect the battery from the quad when charging / maintaining it so that all the current goes to the battery.

Sorry for using caps to emphasize differences, there is just no way to italicize words.

Hope this helps.

Hefty</end quote></div>
Thanks Hefty. The tender I have does both. It is the Harley Davidson model. Also, with me taking a 30 mile trip on the ATV, and then still having a hard time turning the starter over after shutdown, it probably means that the battery is weak and wont accept a full charge. However, I will put another trickle charge on the battery to be sure.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

hey will, sounds like the battery is toast. if you have a real battery charger, charge up the battery to full. then let it sit overnite unhooked and then test it the next day to see if it held the full volt charge or it started loosing. if it is loosing the battery is junk or going to be shorty. cant remeber, is that a sealed battery or can you add fluid? if you can, check it to make sure its full of fluid. i wouldnt go back to friend&friend to buy a battery as i would go to carquest or napa.</end quote></div>

Thanks Steve. Its a sealed battery. I am going to do what you and Hefty suggest and put another charge on the battery with my trickle charger, then do another diagnostic after it sits for awhile disconnected. I really hate the prices they want for a new battery. They start at $100.00......YIKES!!!!!