Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 SPORTSMAN 800 REVERSE LIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007 | 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 07 SPORTSMAN 800 REVERSE LIGHTS

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: so2315

Does the new switch from Quadovator just simply "plug in" with the harness under the pod? What are the bulb #'s?</end quote></div>

Checked and couldn't find any numbers on the bulbs or in the manual. You may just have to get them from Polaris.

Old 09-20-2007 | 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

The kit from Quadovator (a very fine bunch of folks, btw) doesn't contain a switch. The kit assumes that you already have a working set of "Work Lights" which are controlled from the existing worklight switch (a Polaris installed switch). I won't go into the wiring for the Quadovator setup, but, it consists of a pair of 12v relays and you put one of the relays between the original worklight hot wire to the worklight switch and then you splice the second relay into the purple wire from the transmission position indicator. When you put the transmission into reverse it dumps power to ground through the second relay which causes the first relay to turn on the existing worklights. The facory (or yours) installed worklight switch still allows you to manually turn the worklights on and off regardless of what gear you are in (neutral too...). The benefit is that you get an "automatic" backup light, just like your car and it also warns people behind you that you are not going to go forward [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It also allows you to have the normal "Work Lights" for loading or unloading while in Park or Neutral with the brake set by using the Pod mounted switch... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

What it boils down to is the Quadovator kit won't help you until you have working "Work Lights". Quadovator does sell the rocker switch that goes into the pod facing, they aren't cheap, I think $16.00, but, they are top quality (the same manufacturer as the OEM Polaris switch). It has been a while since I did mine (a 500 X2 and an 800 X2), so, I don't remember the color of the wires on the original switch (I did a bunch of electrical mods at the same time - Quadovator reverse lights, Quadovator 3 Light conversion, Quadovator Reverse over-ride with indicator and a complete set of Show-Me police style flashers), but, I do remember that it wasn't a single conector with two wires...it was two wires and I believe they were wrapped together, but, they had individual female spade connectors them allowing an inch or so spread to connect to the switch.

Old 09-20-2007 | 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

On a somewhat related note; do the "running lights" come on with the ignition or are they only on with the headlights?

Old 09-20-2007 | 09:05 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

actually it is black connector that has 2 wires in it with them facing differrnt directions. its easy to spot once you unscrew your pod and turn it over you should find the connector wire tires to the speedo harness. any switch will work if you remove the wires from the connector as it is designed for the oem polaris switch(which is 16.00 +) and i actually found the co. that supplies them to them but you have to 100 of them lol. yes the running(taillights) do come on w/ the key no matter if the headlights are on.

Old 12-08-2010 | 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Reverse light and switch

I found an engineer that customs make a switch kit for polaris sportsman. It works with factory wiring and has 3 settings. It is much better than anything Quadrovator has since it has a kit that needs no cutting or splicing. The Quadrovator kit caused over $400 damage to my ATV. This kit is engineered to work. Go to Ebay and search for Polaris Reverse Light kit. It is only $ 37.00.
It's a no brainer.