Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 speedo help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 speedo help needed

My speedo only works when it's idling and the battery seems to be draining. Id this a ground problem with one of the speedo wire and if so, where is it grounded and what color wire do I look for? Absolutely nothing works on the speedo at speed but the display works at idle. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 09-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

Update; Cleaned all electrical connections that I could find. If I gas it a bit, the display goes off and the speedo needle actually goes backwards just about an 1/8" on the display, then returns to it's normal position at 0. Any ideas?

Old 10-01-2007, 03:25 AM
Range Rover

Weird. are all plugs in place good on pod? hate to ask I'm sure u checked but gotta ask. make sure all wires are pushed into place tight in connector. I would think if its on when u idle that it wont be ground thats bad gotta be in connectors someplace. check all wires that run to pod so thats all of em.could be something away from pod that rubbed someplace.and when u get on gas it touches or unplugs. sorry kinda strange to me

Old 10-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Range Rover

Changed out the battery with a new one and everything's fine now. Go figure. At least now I know that the speedo will NOT work correctly on my sportsman unless the battery has enough output on it. Strange that everything on the speedo actually displayed digitally without the battery even connected even though nothing actually counted (hour meter wouldn't count, speedo didn't work, mileage didn't work). But the display did show blank at anything above idle. Gotta have the right voltage coming out of the battery of the entire speedo unit will not work. It did have enough voltage to start it up though. Well it was a relatively cheap fix at $50 and I'm set up for the opening of hunting season down here next weekend. But thanks for the input!!!