Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman 400 drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007 | 10:09 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default sportsman 400 drive shaft

On a ride and some deep ruts and water My machine was pulling every now and then to the left with a clunk and then it would release. I pulled both hubs and drained the front gear case and added all ne fluids and a good cleaning. i decided to start the bike up on the lift and and check the 4x4 . The handle bar pulling to the lft. and rgt. was still there. I would rev it up at low low throttle and the handle bars would pull to the left and actually lock up. a slight pull to the straight position and it would click. I noticed the the right boot was ripped and the hard click noise was in fact coming from the right side in the boot. I pulled the hub back off and all looks good iam thinking that the problem is in the boot. I put a strap around the strut and cranked it up to close the shock . How do I get the axel out to take that boot off and inspect. I took the top tie rod off and the nut on the bottom of the strut. I need more info if theres a trick or a easier way. Any info ATV connection would be great......Thanks Mark Its a 2003 400 sportsman with 189hrs and 700 miles.

Old 10-29-2007 | 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

remove lower A-arm , I hit the end with a large punch and hammer, it comes right off.if you have the hub off, pull out on the strut and it will just clear the drive shaft. I remove the shaft from the diff with a slide hammer, inspect the cv joint, if its making noise its probably shot and whole thing needs replaced,if not you can clean and grease and replace boot. They make special pliers for boot clampsand replace the c-clip on the diff side of axle.

Old 10-29-2007 | 12:30 PM
|
Trailblazer

Hey Kerd thanks for the info. Right now I have the strut compressed up with a ratchet strap. I have the castle nut off on the bottom what do you mean when you say hit the a arm with a punch. I thought that with it strapped up and I could just pull the A arm down . Should I remove the 2 bolts on the A arm as well.and pull up on the A arm. Thanks