Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Remove air box???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like some great Ideas. I think I am going to try it with the air box off and see how that works. If it helps it a lot(and it sounds like it is going to) then I will leave it like that. But if I have to change the way I ride to run it like this than I know that I would put my air box back on. I know that I can avoid deep water if I want to, but the dust is a different story. Durring the summer months it is pretty dust most of the time.

One other thing. What is the best filter for the dust? K&N, Twin Air, Pro Design, or UNI-Filters? I heard that K&N filters are poor in the dust but Im not sure. I am currently running a K&N and it seems to catch a lot of the dirt.

And I was thinking that if I was to go on a ride with mostly my dads friends that wound be doing a lot of deep creek crossings and mudding then I would take the time to put my air box back on. But if I was going with some of my friends that we will be hill climbing and racing around then I would take the air box off. I know that this would take a little time but I am willing to do it.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Phillip
1999 400 Scrambler 4x4
Aaen pipe, Boyesen reeds, DG front bumper
and skid plate, A-arm gaurds, rear skid plate
many others
(Bike is currently in the shop getting a
cluch kit, new chain and sprockets, and
4 Holeshot XCT's on T9 rims are on order)

Old 01-19-2001, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

I just got my bike back from the shop. It had been in there a while. And I was looking at my air box and I know that I am not going to put a filter right off of the carb because with the air box removed the rear tires are going to through mud, rocks, sand, and other things right up on to the carb. The air box takes a beating (mostly with mud). But I took the intake extension off and I saw the 2 intakes that a few of you were talking about cutting off. I now see how that would help.
One other question. When I removed the top cover of the air box, that exposes the top of the air filter so that you can remove it, I noticed that this exposes a large portion of the filter. And I was thinking that this would help get air to the carb more efficiently. I ran it with out the top cover and it seemed to be getting more air to the carb. I know that it could get water in to it easier if I was riding in deep water or splashing through deep water. But I want to know if this is a safe setup? I need to get a outerwear for my air filter before everything starts drying out though.
Tell me what you think of this and please reply.

Phillip

Old 01-19-2001, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

One other thing that I forgot. Will I need to increase the jet size also after doing this? I have went up one size already with the pipe. Do I need to go up another?

Thanks
Phillip

Old 01-19-2001, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you probably should re-jet, definitely if you gotta 2-stroke. I've kinda been having second thoughts about removing the airbox. I cracked mine from jumping my TBlazer. There's a little rubber "snubber" on the bottom to cushion it from the tranny, and it kinda got pushed in through the airbox. I'm thinkin' about throwin some goop over it and keeping it on. The only way I can think of modifying the TBlazer's airbox is to cut the tube off that runs down to the bottom of the filter(the tube that's part of the lid), removing the snorkel, and maybe cutting the bottom of the box out, too, were there's another tube for water to drain. I'm gonna try the clamp-on this summer in mud and dust w/ my PVC "splash guard", and if the filter is reasonably clean at the end of the day, I'll leave the box off. If anyone's still interested by the time spring or summer rolls around, I'll let yall know how it works out.

Old 01-20-2001, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot comment on a Scrambler airbox,however,it sounds like it ''MIGHT'' be just like the one on the Xplorer.

I just finished my airbox mod today,works excellant for extra airflow,keeps out mud/water to.

On the top of my airbox,there is a rubber snorkle boot,I removed the rubber snorkle boot and the two airbox holes were exposed.I than went and took the entire airbox to the hardware and fitted 2 brass couplers [one for each of the exposed airbox holes].One end of the brass coupler was one inch[this side fits snuggly into one of the top airbox holes]and the other end of the SAME brass fitting was an inch and a quarter.Now I went to the parts store and bought a rubber flex hose to attach to the inch and a quarter end of the brass coupler.I than cut the hose the correct size so it runs up and over the top of my gas tank but still on the inside of my plastic.I did this to both airbox holes and made sure I clamped all connections down using hose clamps.I also used waterproff grease on all connections before assemble.

This mod really sucks in the air now.You can really hear a differance in the airflow when you accelerate.Instead of having one snorkle hole to generate the airflow thru,I now have two.And the great thing is,I can now tread water even higher than before,because my modified snorkles are even HIGHER up than the stock one was,and im still protected from the mud/water/debree.The way I have this mod set-up,no one can tell unless they take off my seat.

Jetting?I allready went from a 210 main jet to a 230 for the winter,so I think I may just have to keep the 230 in the ATV even in the summer.

Before,no matter what I did to the carb,my spark plug was allways black.I even had my air screw turned out [leaned] 2 and a half turns,still a black plug?You could even smell the exaust running a little rich,cause it would burn your eyes a little.

Now everything is in order,
GOOD LUCK,
Bill