Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Remove air box???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was to remove my air box compleatly and just run a K&N filter and Pre-Filter straight off the carb would this help performance much? And would there still be enough support woth the air box removed for the Carb since the air box supports it some?
Where I ride it is pretty dusty in the summer and can you still run this setup when it is wet and there is going to be water splashing around? I dont think that there would be much water reaching the carb anyway because of its placement. Will there be much more dust or other small particals makeing it past the filter and in to the engine? Even if it was kept well oiled?

Phillip
99 400 Scrambler 4x4

Old 01-07-2001, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2000 SP500 and it has two vent lines running to the air box .IF I dont hook them into the air box it wont run.

Old 01-08-2001, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

I have run mine with the air box compleatly off already(when I was rejetting it). So I know that it will run like this. Just not sure if it will help much.

Phillip

Old 01-08-2001, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

I'd like to hear comments about running this in wet or dusty conditions as well. I'd like to do it to get the increased air flow --but what if you splash through 3 feet of water or spend the day on a drought stricken MX course? Are you still getting enough protection from a well oiled pre-filter?

Old 01-08-2001, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

That is the same thing that I would like to know. But from the amount of responses that we are gitting it does not seem like there is that many people that know or that have tried this setup.

Phillip

Old 01-09-2001, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Phildogg,

I have the airbox mod (holes and larger intake)on my Scram400 and power was way increased. I could literaly feel it. I think it can be done, taking the whole thing off that is. I would just be a bit hesitant going through puddles. Dust...they have filters for that.

Old 01-09-2001, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

I gotta clamp-on K&N for my 00 TBlazer w/o airbox, and am trying to rig up a 6 or 7 inch diameter piece of PVC pipe to fit on over the airfilter w/o restricting any airflow. I plan on hooking it to the frame by a small "L" bracket bolted to where the rear mounting tabs are for the original airbox. If it weren't so cold out, it would probably be all done by now. I figure this would mak a good "splash guard", and will let yall know when I'm done.

Old 01-09-2001, 08:59 AM
Trailblazer

I have tried this setup on my 98 scrambler 400, ran a K&N right off the carb, used a knee high nylon as an outerwear.Had some good power that way but i chickened out. After riding for the day, being carefull of deep water and mindful of taking in too much dust by following too close to anyone, i cleaned the quad with a hose and inspected the filter and it was soaked. Not enough protection for me. It also changed the way I rode that day, I figured whats the sense if your gonna be worried about where you can ride, like oh no that waters too deep, forget that, put on a uni and modified the airbox and it runs great and I can go anywhere. If you choose to do this, be careful....good luck Bob

Old 01-09-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't done it, but I am planning on installing a PVC elbow atop the airbox cover, pointed backwards. This should allow extra air in, while keeping flying snow/water from entering. I had tried to put a guard on the stock intake, but snow plugged it up and stopped the quad dead. Engines need lots of fresh air, but keeping the box to keep other tidbits from getting sucked in, or to keep the filter dry is pretty important.

Old 01-09-2001, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Phil,

If you really want to get the air flowing, completely remove the 2 into 1 rubber boot off the intake of the airbox.
Take some type of saw blade and cut the splash guard completely out of the inside of the airbox.

If your arent satisfied w/ this, resume to removing your airbox and make it look like a huge hunk of swiss.........or just leave it off!

EC

Quick Reply: Remove air box???