Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Diff Oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Diff Oil

LOL Caper I figured that would turn some heads LOL Maybe edit that so the page isn't a mile wide [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You couldn't pay me enough to change over to the Bomb squad. Not unless I was only running wide open fire roads all day long [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Diff Oil

Done!!.........LOL.....Caper.........

I though you may have BUMPED you head or something!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Diff Oil

Not lately LOL But I haven't been riding too much either.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Diff Oil

Did they give you a time when you may get it back!!!..................Ask them if you need to wait as long as Rick P. did with his wife's Hawkeye??..........That should get them going!!!.....LOL.....Caper...........

Old 12-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Diff Oil

Well I'm hoping for this week sometime, the loaner bike they were gonna give me was an 03 and the G2 mount wouldn't fit so I just told them to keep it. My bud with the Bomb has been pretty good about handing it over when I need it so I'm not shoveling at all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And the Bomb is kinda fun but too light for plowing. It'll just spin and not push the skin off of pudding [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But it gets the job done.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Diff Oil

Well I stopped in at the dealer today, they had my diff out and apart and there is metal filings everywhere. From what I could see there is a plate on the side of the case that holds the cage. The plate was held to the case with a few roll pins and they all sheared off letting the cage spin around without locking the 4x4 in. The amount of filings that are in the diff makes me wonder why I didn't get a lot on the magnet when I was draining it, and what else was damaged. The dealer is going to contact Polaris to see about replacing the entire diff, not rebuilding it and that makes me happy!! Not that I doubt the abilities of the techs, but who knows what might be damaged from the incorrect oil and now the metal that has gone thru it. Now the service guy did mention to me that incorrect oil shouldn't have caused this, and he changed his mind when I told him that the 4x4 was engaging on it's own and that didn't start untill I had the wrong oil in it.

Now one thing I noticed is that the roller cage is about half the size of the previous diffs. Same diameter but half as long. I wonder if this will have a long term effect on durability in the future. I really hope not.

Well hopefully by Christmas time I should be back up and running. This sure has been a long process and it feels even longer when I have to go borrow a bike to plow my driveway. It's kinda depressing having to ride a Bomb LOL

Old 12-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Front Diff Oil

Yo, If i'm not mistaken the older awd that engages at the wheels and the new awd that engages in the diff take the same fluid. Not sure on the adc fluid.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Front Diff Oil

The new diffs with ADC take Demand Drive LT, where the older front diffs and the hubs would take the same fluid, Premium Demand Drive Fluid.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Diff Oil

one thing i noticed that might be of some importance is that i have a 06 hawkeye and bought a 07 service manual... the 07 manual calls for the "lt" fluid and the owners manual calls for the premium demand drive fluid.... its always good to make sure your using the correct stuff...

Old 01-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Diff Oil

Well my saga is almost over. I talked to the dealer today and my new front diff has arrived. So if all goes well I'll have my bike back in time for the weekend. It's been a long time without my own bike and having to borrow my buddies Outlander. So far on the Bomb, between me and my buddy we've gone thru 2 plow frames (bent like pretzels) and 5 broken winch cables. I'm not a big fan of the Eagle plow system or how low the winch is on the Bomb. With the winch as low as it is it puts a lot of stress on the cable causing the cables to break. And with the plow frame mounted so far back on the frame, it won't lift very high at all. My banks have been piling up a long ways. So hopefully tomorrow I can stop complaining and get back to riding in style. I'm getting sick of my neighbours asking me why I have a Polaris coat, pants and gloves and a Outlander in the driveway.

Quick Reply: Front Diff Oil