Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch cover crisis

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch cover crisis

My '97 Xplorer 400 began eating the clutch cover recently, like shortly before I bought it. Any clue as to why this happens? It seems fairly common from what I read here. Previous owner replaced the drive belt and I thought it was due to his improper installation of the outer cover, but the cover actually looks warped. I have to buy a new cover anyway and am going to buy a newer cover (looks a little bigger) Any chance that my problem will be solved? And if not, do any of you long time Polaris owners know what causes the drive clutch to eat the cover? (Driven clutch is contacting too, but very little, about 1/2" below the center of the retaining bolt.) Please help, my daughters will be riding this thing too and I don't want shoelaces or pants legs getting caught up.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 AM
Trailblazer

K: here's what might help U out go to pdftown.com you won't find ur Polaris Xplorer service manual (under that name cause china made the parts) but U will find it or a verry similar model (should be the same(EXACT!!) under the name Kymco Dink 200 Hope this'll help? do not sign up just find what U R lookin' for & DWNLD. it Hopefully it can answer any more Q'S you have if not try askin' here again......... Dennis

Old 12-13-2007, 05:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

{{laughing}} Dink 200? WTF? I'm downloading now.....

Old 12-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not being a jerk, but were you high cough syrup when you read my post? What does that little Faggio scooter have to do with my four-wheeler? I see the scematic of the faggio's clutch drive, and in some small way it is somewhat similar, maybe, but how does it help me figure what caused my drive clutch to chew a hole in my clutch cover? I'm really confused at this point.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you install the new cover make sure the vents are clear and that the motor mounts are not broken or have excessive wear