Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ECM Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECM Recall

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MtnGuy75

I got the recall last monday. Went out this morning to do some plowing and my battery was dead. Seams the fan ran even after the ignition was shut off. After i got it charged up i couldnt start it with the starter and had to pull start it. After i got it running the fan was running non stop and the display read-" ENGINE HOT" and "CHECK ENGINE".

I called my dealer and he stated that it sounded like the ECM failed and to get it in as soon as possible. Ofcourse the ECM i need is backordered, dont figure?? Just thought id pass it along.</end quote></div>

My second one did that very same thing..............But remember my was already replaced when it did that on mine!!!!...LOL...LOL.......................That is where the FIRE hazzard comes into play........Very scary stuff!!!!!......My view here (remember only my view)........ They (Polaris ) still never fixed the ECM trouble yet!!!...........Caper.............

Old 10-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM Recall"></title><script src=

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RticKwad

I got the letter and now the wife can't find it! Good to know though that

my dealer can look it up. Okay you all, did you replace it yourselfs or

can the dealer send you the part? My dealer is 2 and 1/2 hours away.

Please advise, and thanks!

R'</end quote></div>

my mechanic just told me that this part was bad on my 2006 polaris sportman 500 is there any way of getting a new one for free or haveing the work done for free. thanks

Old 10-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Default ECM Recall

Call the dealer or just drop in with your VIN number and they will look it up(for free) and tell you if the work is needed under the recall.....Hope that helps.........Caper........

Old 10-22-2008, 04:26 AM
Range Rover
Default ECM Recall

just wondering but where do i register or wat not to get the recalls for my 01 scrambler? if they do find something for a recall would they send it to the old owner? if so how do i get them 2 send it to me

Old 10-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default ECM Recall

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wvu304

just wondering but where do i register or wat not to get the recalls for my 01 scrambler? if they do find something for a recall would they send it to the old owner? if so how do i get them 2 send it to me</end quote></div>

I'd call Polaris, not a dealer, but Polaris and ask them if there is anything you can do.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Default ECM Recall

Well here in Canada the Quad is in your name when you get the plates for it,At the Dept of Motor Vehicles...
So they will have the second,third ,forth,...etc......Owners info.........Caper........

Not sure how they can tell in the U.S.A.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

So since this is in regards to the ECM on a 2004 Polaris 500 HO, I thought I would put it here. I hope it gets seen, as some of these are pretty old. The original ECM on my 2004 500 HO was replaced a few years ago (probably 4 yrs ago). I took the atv out of the shed after it had sat there for about 14 months and attempted to start it. Dead battery-plugged it in to charger. The next day I turned on the key and the display on the speedometer came on like normal. I tried to start it but the solenoid just clicked. I figured the battery wasn't charged enough or I might be needing a new solenoid. I then attempted to pull start it. On the second pull it started right up. (BTW- it has a carb in case that might add anything to this). It ran for a couple of minutes and then just died. NO display on the speedometer, no lights, no nothing. I read several of these posts and proceeded to check grounds (cleaned several and reattached) fusible link (checked for continuity-but I think this is good) and then proceeded to pull the main wire plug (the one that has about 10 wires and plugs into the bottom of the ECM) and just tested to see if any of them were hot. There was one slot that was hot, which kind of told me that there was power running into the ECM-or at least that seems to make sense. Anyway, is there any way to check to see if the ECM is the problem? The new one is a Surefire brand and I thought these were getting better reviews than the originals. I don't really want to buy another one-especially if this one is still good. PS- I also cleaned the connections on the switches leading to the left handlebar controls. Thanks for any ideas!

Old 04-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Start at that dead battery problem first along with checking all connections. Charge it up and have it load tested. They can show fully charged,but can fail a load test.That may be the main problem. https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html You can crank these older models with the recoil starter with a dead or near dead battery,but a good battery is needed for the electric starter,fan,dash lights,charging,circuit breakers,etc which the ecm is responsible for. If the battery checks out on a load test,then only thing you can do is clean the contacts on the ecm and use some electrical grease and see if that helps. If it doesn't then possible another ecm has bit the dust. Not uncommon for the US made Surepower models to fail even after they've replaced the Chinese ecms.On that I replaced several on the same machines.14 months if you haven't had the battery on a tender,you can be pretty sure it needs replacement anyway.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT. I will get on that and let you know what I come up with. I see ECM's have gotten cheaper- this may be part of that.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Exclamation 4011568. Faulty ECM

hey everyone,
as my name says I am new to Polaris and 4wheelers all together. I have been searching forums etc for months
regarding my ecm issues. I know this thread started almost 10 yrs ago...wow! Mostly talking about quads that were up to 2006. I have read about the recalls and all of the issues. I have a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 450 with what I believe to be ecm problems. I bought this quad about 3 yrs ago, the seller told me he had some over charging issues and had the exam replaced to the newer silver finned 4011568 module. I drove it on to the truck
brought it home and unloaded it, my son drove it around the field a few times maybe a total of an hour.
We put it away and then it sat for about a year and a half, I was diagnosed with Cancer and was dealing with that and had no time for the quad. My son and other relatives did take it out in the summer of 2016 to see if it would start, it did not. So a new battery was purchased and installed, they managed to get it to start but then it did some weird things, like the fan running after shut off etc. They looked at the area where the ecm is located and saw that the plug had been zip tied onto the ecm, thinking that was odd they undid the zip ties. They checked the plug and it smelled burnt and they plugged it back in and it wouldn't start. It was then put away. In an outdoor storage area. Unfortunately it ended up out in the elaments through the winter.
Finally got it into my garage. Got a new battery, took the ecm out....opened it up...it had gotten water inside it and was all rusted. I took it all apart and cleaned. Off of everything it was like new. I checked the plug now and cleaned it all up and although it was not perfect I thought it would work enough to try starting it. I also changed the solenoid because it was very corroded and cleaned up all the connections for the cables ( battery, starter, solenoid etc ). We used a tester and made sure there was power going from the battery all the way to the winch. All seemed like it should be good to go. I turned the key and nothing, the cluster didn't light up or anything.
So, I decided to disconnect the battery and I used one of those small booster packs and clamped it directly to the wires and tried again...perfect! The cluster lit up, the lights work everything was turning over"..excellent.

Here is the problem now, I disconnected the booster pack, hooked the battery back up and tried the key.
Nothing works. This is a brand new battery Showing 12.8 volts. Confused, so I disconnect the battery again...I take a car battery I have that shows 12.6volts and I use booster cables form the battery to the wires on the ATV
I turn the key and Nothing. So I disconnect that and go back and try this little pocket booster pack with 450 cca
connected to the wires...and the key turns and everything comes on and it turns right over.
The only thing I am changing is the power source.

I am am hoping that I was clear with my story and that somebody can read this and offer a suggestion.

i can't really afford to just buy a new ecm for $500 ( I'm in Ontario Canada ) to try it. I do plan to buy a new plug and fix and replace all the pins etc.
It doesn't make sense to me that the ecm still faulty if it will start with a booster pack.

If the ecm is the problem...
I am hoping there is somebody with more experience and knowledge about these ecm modules that could explain to me why the ecm would not allow it to start with a battery but it would start with a booster pack.

Any other answer, solutions or information would be greatly appreciated.
If somebody could explain to me why it is the ecm and convince me that is the problem
I will save my pennies and buy one. But I certainly don't want to buy one if that isn't the issue.

This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum...not really sure how it works.
if somebody has info feel free to email me direct at sbrannigan@hotmail.ca
Otherwise I guess I will just have to keep coming back to this site watching for a response.

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to read my long winded story/issue.