Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Throttle Cable Problems??? Need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008 | 11:02 AM
Range Rover
Default Sportsman Throttle Cable Problems??? Need help

Sorry to hear the Dealer couldnt help you either.......All ATV's are great....when they work right. Good luck!!!

Old 05-31-2008 | 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

A guy can take only so much before he changes things. I hope the Grizz works well for you Wally. Did you get Power Steering?

Old 06-01-2008 | 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Hey WallyC,

I won't contradict your decision like liam51 says, any of the big name brands
are good and many always have their own idiosynchrisies and some dealers
are better than others. Your Grizzly you bought has a fantastic reputation
and a riding friend of ours impressed me last week with all the mudd'in and
creek riding above seat level with no lift, no aftermarket tires etc. and went
through all of the THICK stuff and didn't get stuck whereas a few of us with
our Polaris did. But saying that isn't cuz it was a Yamaha, the Arctic Cat went
thru and some other Sp500 and Sp800 went thru too., but its at the TOP
of the product line and not really any inferior -- IMHO

Happy Riding and enjoy your new product, if my right hand keeps acting
up with my riding (going numb) maybe I may see what the power steering
has to offer, I have changed out 3 times grips for more shock control and GEL
grips and better riding gloves etc. to assist with the problem BUT it still bothering
me.

Peace out,

R'

Old 06-01-2008 | 09:10 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the kind words.

I did not opt for the power steering. The Grizzly does seem much more nimble than the Sportsman and consequently the steering is quite easier (and tighter).

I ended up buying the extended Yamaha warranty as well considering my history with the Sportsman.

Also bought a 6x10 used aluminum trailer they had on the lot. The road salt here in PA was just eating up my old trailer. Always gave me heartburn hauling a $7k ATV on a $300 trailer. I'm safe now - trailer even has the 15 inch tires.

I'm heading out to the barn now to install the 2" hitch receiver I had them throw in.

Have a great Sunday.

WallyC

Old 06-01-2008 | 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Sad to see ya go Wally! Keep us updated on the new ride.

Opinion...saddest part of this is a good dealer could have kept you happy! It seems that WAY too many dealerships go for the sales and not for the service! Employing good service techs in this day and age is an expensive proposition, and sadly many dealerships cut this corner!

Old 06-01-2008 | 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea, I agree JK! I DO! and it is SAD. Just like a good friend pointed out to me that America by and
large is NOT an manafacturing nation anymore. So much of our business is really SALES and SERVICE.
And when the SERVICE is eroding, what does that tell ya? Yea I agree whole heartly!

And IRONICALLY to post in this VERY thread. I have a local dealer that has been around forever
it seems and thats all they sell is the Honda's, Yamahas, Kawaskis, Suzukies. They are a power
sports store so you will see dirt bikes, scooters and even JET SKIs (This is Maryland, aka Chesapeake Bay..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].
Their revenues are pretty good, they sell enough of their products to sustain themselves and
I have noticed they hace a chain of 3 other store in the Baltimore area, so I guess they have been SUCCESSFUL.

My point is though if you talk to one of any of their salesman they SUCK! Like NO customer service at all.
Their attitude is horrible. And I based this on many of my experiences, friends and families. They really act
like they don't want to be bothered with. And this is a Honda/YAMAHA etc. dealership. They like many motor
sports stores sell generic products on the shelves like tools, bags, apparel etc. When I got my flat their
service department wanted $50 to patch my ATV tire. I told them to take a hike! Even if I were to by
different brand other than our Polaris someday, it won't be from this store just for the principle of it!

R'

Old 06-01-2008 | 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

R, you are probably right, this isn't just a Polaris thing and most likely not just an ATV thing! If you think about it, this is much more wide spread and seems to encompass pretty much all consumer goods! Seems like we are seeing the "throw away society" that we live in pushed to new limits every day!

Old 06-01-2008 | 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

JK-

No doubt, I agree! I am not sure about you or the other posters here in the forum but
when I got to kiss the a$$ of a sales associate just to get his attention, or some service (usually bad)
I am waay turned off. I now find myself going out of the area at stores that I think have better
service cuz I want to be treated honestly and fairly. I can't tell ya how many mechanic shops,
retail stores and restaurants (to name a few) that I have boycotted and won't do business with.
Usually 9 times out of 10 its always the young punks (15-23 yrs of age) that are usually 100%
of the problem in which also translates "most" of the time into poor management, if not me then
my wife separately. Obviously, these places I mention don't elevate customer service as the
#1 rule to a successful business. My attitude now is if they think they can treat me that way
to turn over a "quick buck" and don't invest in clientell then I can just as easily find my products
and services else where, this is America dang it! I am not limited to just one particular store
to buy my products from! -- My rant for the day! Would any agree?

R'

Old 06-02-2008 | 07:39 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

FYI. My 'beef' was not with the dealer, but rather my particular ATV. I think I just had a lemon. The dealer was more than diligent in trying to help me fix the problem - just unable. I actually bought the Grizzly from them as well.

The tact I took was that I still had warranty left on the Polaris until September. Provided they gave me a VERY fair trade in value (which they did) I would continue to do business with them. Like all dealers, they are anxious to sell new units and as a result, I think I got a decent deal. This dealer knows they're not the only game in town and I could have easily taken my business elsewhere. I also think I would have had a hard time getting the trade in value I did with another dealer. Not sure if it's true, but they might have felt a bit guilty for not being able to find my Sportsman's problem.

Who knows. All I do know is that I now have a pretty hunter green Grizzly that stays running.

Old 06-02-2008 | 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Hey WallyC,

When you get some running rides in, take
some PICS and shoot'em up. We'd like to
see it! Get some Mud holes etc. too thats
always FUN to look at. Good chatting with
ya and enjoy your new product.

Peace out,

R'