Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Time to get the Polaris Factory Manual out!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008 | 09:40 PM
|
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Default Time to get the Polaris Factory Manual out!!

Well First changed he fluid...Was fairly dark in colour..
Try it ...Same........

Second.......un-plugged the wires at the plug-in Still the same ........Need to take the front diff apart!!
I don't really think the roller cage is broke though, woundn't you here some loud noise from there?
My guess right now is that they are staying magnetized and turning from that...

I am going to ride it a little bit during this week around the yard and see on the week-end if the same is happening.......I will keep you posted........It's going to get fixed one way or another............If the front Diff needs to come out ......IT'S COMMING OUT!!

If I wanted FULL TIME 4X4 I would have bought the Arctic Cat V.P model they had out in 2006.....

If this keeps happening .....I am sorry to say this will be my last Polaris.......
........Caper.................

Old 05-21-2008 | 02:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

My 2006 800 has done that a couple of times and I just put it in reverse and back up a few feet and it fixes it. Highlifter.com has talked about this alot and they have part numbers from a John Deere front end that's cheaper to replace the cage on than the Polaris parts.
Oh someone already said this, nevermind.

Old 05-24-2008 | 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Any news on the situation? Have you found a fix?

Old 05-24-2008 | 03:36 PM
|

No, Waiting until after my next ride........Then will lift it up again and see......I think it is the roller cage or the magnet is staying engaged........Caper............

Old 05-24-2008 | 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Well I told you my thoughts and it sounds like you want to try your luck and fix it. I will help. To get the thing out is easy, it only takes me about 15 minutes. Take the hood off and find the two bolts holding the radiator bracket and remove them. Now take out the two bolts on the botton of the front clip. Unplug the clips from the headlights. Now take a star wrench or star driver and remove the two star screws closest to the handle bars on the rack. The hole front clip sould come off. Undo the top hose on the radiator and tie it up out of the way. Move the radiator to the side and tie it up out of the way.(I used bungees) Now remove the radiater bracket. Take off the wheels and remove the axle nuts. Just on one side do you need to take off the tie rod and drop the a arm and take out the axle. Now lay under the machine and remove the four bolts holding the awd. Unplug the electrical wire from the awd and cut the pull ties. Crab hold off the axles and just wiggle and pull untill you get the other axle out and remove the hole thing. I have never had to remove the axles. I don't see why you would it is just waste alot of time. The drive shaft will slide right off the yoke. Now that you got it out just remove all of the bolts that hold the awd together. It will open right up. If the brass cover to the magnet comes off don't worry it is supposed too. To take out the cage just crab hold to it and pull it out. The rollers will come out with it. Don't worry they go back in just as easy. Next pull out the big ring gear. Thats it . Thats pretty much all thats in there. Inspect the roll cage and rollers. I don't know what year you have and hilliard has made changes. If you have a white roll cage you have the older one. You can order the new one and it will be black. Also if you have the white one you need to order the new armature plate for it is differant too. Also if you have the plastic bushing for the ring gear and it has melted, well thats just to bad, because you can't get another. You will have to purchase a hole new half from hilliard or get a thousand dollar new one from polaris. Replace parts and put back together. Be sure to align the ears of the armature plate to the grooves in the roll cage. You may need a freind to help align the drive shaft yoke back onto the transmission shaft as you but it back in the machine. Put everything back and try your luck and if it last longer than six months I will come to your house and kiss your a$$.

Old 05-25-2008 | 12:14 AM
|

My is a 2006............It is not doing it all the time..........Today it was fine...........I only drove about 4-5 miles around the dirt road here..........Never felt any pull today..........But that don't mean it's fixed....................Can the plastic bushing be done on a lathe........I have all the tools and machines at work.........I can even make stuff in a CNC and program cuts and grooves.........My service manual says only take the wheel hub and drive axle out from the front right side.........Does not say anything about the red or front storage box...........Caper...

Old 05-25-2008 | 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

My bad, I don't have the storage rack. I have an 05 Sportsman. It still shouldn't be that much to take off. It pobably won't happen all the time. It will only happen when the back wheels spin. If you are going down the path it should work fine. Yes you can make a new one. I had one made at the local machine shop, it was a tight fit but it lasted for a few months. I would make one out of metal and press it in, that is how the new ones are.

Old 05-25-2008 | 08:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

IMO, not all these do this as im on my 6th sportsmanand not one of them kick in(and yes i would know if it did by my driving habbits) while in 2x4 and we leave them in 2x4 until we get stuck and then shift in awd w/out any issues. however i make sure i(we) are not spinning at all before we shift between the 2 modes.
caper, from what ive read and heard over the years i agree w/ scrammy that it sounds like the cage got broke. let us know what you find out. again IMO.