Post addicts

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Post addicts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mywifesquad

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

<u>Lots of American cars are assembled here from mostly American parts</u>. Any car you buy has the origin of it's content listed. There's a HUGE difference between 70-90% American content assembled here, and 10% American content, like the Hondas assembled in Ohio. There ARE choices, and even though they're all assembled here, 90% American parts is still 9 times more than 10% American parts like those Japanese cars. And there are 100% imported cars like the Toyota Prius. Cars range anywhere from 0% up to 90% American. The last 4 vehicles I looked at were all <u>at least</u> 70% American/Canadian. Even the ones with final assembly in Mexico were 70% American made.

The factory I worked in made parts that were assembled in places like New Jersey, Louisiana, and Texas, just to name a few states. Not Mexico, Japan, and Korea. When my plant stopped production it hurt people in several other states too. More and more parts are outsourced to other countries and the assembly lines will be sure to follow. As long as people don't know, or don't care, it keeps getting worse. Someday you will probably have to get everything you own from China, India, Vietnam, and other third-world $h!tholes like that, unless Americans start working for 50 cents a day.</end quote></div>

Then why are so many bolts under the hood metric? My wife drives a 00 STS and I dont think there is a standard bolt on it any where. My '92 F350 is almost the same but at least anything that bolts to the engine is standard. First time i noticed the metric bolts was on my 82 Grand Marquis. That engine is now in the B5000 project on my pic page.

Dont want to argue with you but I am very confused.</end quote></div>

The U.S. is the only civilized country in the world that isn't metric. The English don't even use the English system of measurement and haven't for decades. Since American cars are sold all over the world they need metric parts like every other car in the world. We should have gone metric decades ago when all the scientists and doctors in America did. I can't help it if we're too stupid to accept the world stardard, that ever country in the world except Liberia and Myanmar uses.

P.S. I used to build the hoods, roofs, deck lids, doors, and some other parts for the Sevilles and Eldorados, from at least the '92 model on up. It was pretty cool because we used a robot with a laser to cut out the Seville tail-light hole, and another robot welded the bracket in with a laser, on the '92 and up models until they changed stlyes. We were the first auto plant in the world to use lasers that way.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:44 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Post addicts

The U.S. is the only civilized country in the world that isn't metric. The English don't even use the English system of measurement and haven't for decades.

Since American cars are sold all over the world they need metric parts like every other car in the world.

We should have gone metric decades ago when all the scientists and doctors in America did.

I can't help it if we're too stupid to accept the world stardard, that ever country in the world except Liberia and Myanmar uses.</end quote></div>

I know that, Im not a total idiot.

That makes sense.

I remember back in elementary school they started teaching it....for about 2 weeks and stopped. That was in the early 70's.

I use both in my trade and once you figure the metric conversion out, it is far superior to "our way".

Old 06-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Moto Psycho
Default Post addicts

My metric wrenches are all whole numbers like 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14. The only odd metric sizes I've ever seen were SAE converted to metric, like 6.35. I have English wrenches in such oddball, bastard sizes as 11/32. It's almost impossible to find the right wrench for some nuts and bolts, or to find nuts and bolts a wrench like that fits. There are way too many sizes like that and they don't serve any purpose at all. You could throw away 2/3 of your wrenches and still work on cars anywhere else in the world except here. If we were metric too nobody would ever have to convert anything, and make mistakes doing it. We have to suffer with two systems of measurment instead of the one that's standard all over the world, because we're only half metric. Anyone know off-hand how many cubic inches their quad engine is? I doubt it. They're all metric. No wonder we aren't as competitive in the global market. We make everything too complicated.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post addicts

all the bank equipment i work on- all metric nuts & bolts. all are even #'s execpt 1 and its 5.5

Old 06-06-2008, 03:12 AM
Moto Psycho
Default Post addicts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mudbug5

all the bank equipment i work on- all metric nuts & bolts. all are even #'s execpt 1 and its 5.5</end quote></div>

The one odd size may be a security feature since everyone else won't have that size. 5.5 mm would be a tiny hair less than the diameter of a .22 bullet. Guns are my hobby and the calibers are really complicated because some are decimal, some are millimeters, and some are both mixed together. It's all one big fuster-cluck.

I run into problems with allen screws all the time because they have something stupid like 11/32 or 25/64 instead of a whole number like 3 or 4mm. It' a lot simpler having 1 mm increments than 1/32 or 1/64 inch. From zero to an inch you may have 25 sizes instead of 64. Since most people already have metric tools they should quit making any other hardware. But metric makes too much sense. I think I'm done ranting now. I need another SunBeam, my name for Sunkist orange soda and Jim Beam, so I can calm down. [img]i/expressions/sun.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Post addicts

Hea, I hear ya. Hell with all of it.
I'm going fishing- headed toward hopedale & shell beach in La. for 4 days.
Bring on the redfish and specks. I'll measure in MM just for you. LOL

Old 06-06-2008, 09:14 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Post addicts

Anyone know off-hand how many cubic inches their quad engine is? </end quote></div>

Approx 60 cubic inches per liter, 1000cc per liter. Pretty simple math.

My CR500 doesnt seem that impressive at only 30ci.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Post addicts

[img][/img] LOL. DNA everywhere. I bet they never took a sample, and wouldn't unless the guy died or sued you. Cops have never done me any good. They just harrass me for things they think are illegal but aren't. When I was in a car crash last year they made me destroy a $140 knife because they didn't like the way it looks. I found out later that it was 100% legal but it would cost hundreds of dollars to sue the @$$hole. That was at least the second or third knife I had confiscated or destroyed because cops don't know $h!t about the law. Not that even care. Most of them I've dealt with are bullys and criminals. If they ever ask if you have a weapon on you, say no! I use mine as a tool every day, not a weapon, and it wouldn't be a lie. What are they going to do anyway? Shoot me for having a knife in my pocket? [img][/img] F@#$in' @$$hole$!!!</end quote></div>

The knife I carry is legal by 1/16 of an inch. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Post addicts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mywifesquad

I remember back in elementary school they started teaching it....for about 2 weeks and stopped. That was in the early 70's.

I use both in my trade and once you figure the metric conversion out, it is far superior to "our way".</end quote></div>

I remember that too, MWQ. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Here's what I know for sure about the metric system. When they made liquor bottles go from 1/5 to 750ml, we got screwed out of 2.4 ounces. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Post addicts

One thing I hate is when your tryin to take off a bolt and your sure that you have the right sized wrench but you end up wrecking the bolt head because you were a 1/64 to big and used the wrong wrench.

Quick Reply: Post addicts