I carry a cajun pocket knife..

otherwise known as a marchetti

Old 06-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Post addicts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mywifesquad

I remember back in elementary school they started teaching it....for about 2 weeks and stopped. That was in the early 70's.

I use both in my trade and once you figure the metric conversion out, it is far superior to "our way".</end quote></div>

I remember that too, MWQ. [img][/img] [img][/img]

Here's what I know for sure about the metric system. When they made liquor bottles go from 1/5 to 750ml, we got screwed out of 2.4 ounces. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Actually your figure is off. It would be 0.24 ounces, not 2.4. 5 X 750 ml = 126.802585 US fluid ounces, and a gallon is 128, so round it off to 1.2 ounces difference for five bottles. We're getting screwed out of slightly less than 1/4 ounce in each 750 ml bottle. I guess I can accept that loss.

I always thought 1/5 of a gallon was a stupid measurement anyway because nothing else came in fifths. They should have used quarts instead. I don't know why they use 3/4 liter bottles instead of making them all a whole liter or a half. Nothing makes sense to me, but I keep drinking until it does.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Default Post addicts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mudbug5

Hea, I hear ya. Hell with all of it.

I'm going fishing- headed toward hopedale & shell beach in La. for 4 days.

Bring on the redfish and specks. I'll measure in MM just for you. LOL</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] They seem a whole lot bigger in MM. You don't even have to lie about how big they are. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Boil up some mudbugs, taters, and corn while you're at it, and tell us what we're all missing.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Moto Psycho
Default Post addicts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

Anyone know off-hand how many cubic inches their quad engine is? </end quote></div>

Approx 60 cubic inches per liter, 1000cc per liter. Pretty simple math.

My CR500 doesnt seem that impressive at only 30ci.[img][/img]</end quote></div>

I don't think most people know the conversion by heart. You're Smarter Than The Average (Care) Bear.

My 4.8 liter Chevy is 293 cubic inches and my 50cc scooter is a only 3 cubic inches. An old rule of thumb for cars was that anything over 1 HP per C.I. was pretty good. My truck doesn't measure up to that, but my quad does.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post addicts

Chiming in a little late here. On the subject of parts content for cars and country of origin.
Look up the buy america program that the Federal Government uses. Has to do with america made content and assembly locations.

I seem to remember that in this last year the only Cars that met the Buy America program were the Honda accord and the Toyota Camry.

fwiw

Old 06-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Moto Psycho
Default Post addicts

I thought they only had to be 50% American to meet the requirment, but I don't keep up on politics. Even the Japanese brands that are made here send all their profits straight to Japan, but at least it keeps some Americans working. The other good news is that some other countries like Germany are outsourcing jobs to America because we work more hours a day, for less pay they do, and get a lot less holidays. In a way we're the Mexico of Europe - we're a source of cheaper labor. I was amazed when I was in Germany and saw people like road construction crews on beer breaks at all hours of the day. It seems like they sat around drinking more than they worked.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post addicts

i took my mom on the goliath/ bohemith in La Ronde last year....................most mom's wouldn't even look at it let alone ride it.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:27 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Post addicts

I don't think most people know the conversion by heart.

You're Smarter Than The Average (Care) Bear.

My 4.8 liter Chevy is 293 cubic inches and my 50cc scooter is a only 3 cubic inches. An old rule of thumb for cars was that anything over 1 HP per C.I. was pretty good. My truck doesn't measure up to that, but my quad does.</end quote></div>

Most likely very few even begin to understand.

Thanks jumbofrank!LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Being a machinist for the last 30 yrs helps. Started using/understanding it in the early 80's when the place I worked for did a lot of stuff for IBM.

My CR500 is has almost 2hp per CI. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Moto Psycho
Default Post addicts

I don't think most people know the conversion by heart.

You're Smarter Than The Average (Care) Bear.

My 4.8 liter Chevy is 293 cubic inches and my 50cc scooter is a only 3 cubic inches. An old rule of thumb for cars was that anything over 1 HP per C.I. was pretty good. My truck doesn't measure up to that, but my quad does.</end quote></div>

Most likely very few even begin to understand.

Thanks jumbofrank!LOL [img][/img] Being a machinist for the last 30 yrs helps. Started using/understanding it in the early 80's when the place I worked for did a lot of stuff for IBM.

My CR500 is has almost 2hp per CI. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Nice. My scooter is 2:1. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] 3 C.I. = 6 HP.

I don't care how the vote turns out, that's friggin' hot!!! [img]i/expressions/sun.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2008, 01:42 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Post addicts

Nice. My scooter is 2:1. 3 C.I. = 6 HP.

I don't care how the vote turns out, that's friggin' hot!!! ]</end quote></div>

Thats very [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Post addicts