Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1999 scrambler problems with carb i think please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008 | 01:47 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 1999 scrambler problems with carb i think please help

well i just bought a 1999 polaris scrambler 400 4x4 it was running fine the other day just needed front axle we changed it was almost outa gas when it was running fine we filled it up with gas we just got and now when you take off with the throttle about 0-40% id say it feels weird like to much gas maybe im not sure after you drive for a few seconds then you feel it grabs from where it had no power like up hills and stuff you gotta push teh throttle down a lot wich sux cuz it gives a hard jerk once you hit it down enough but carb is spraying gas from the overflow valve i cleaned it all its fine i checked the float needle it looks as if it has a small round groove on it so i dunno if that is wrong or not u cant really feel it but you can see it and there was gas in the airfilter and sparkplug gets a little wet with gas also we let it sit overnight and then ran it next day smoked a hella let for about 5min of driving then was fine but it was running decent when it smoked but i dunno whats wrong im hoping just the needle

Old 07-18-2008 | 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

color of smoke?

Old 07-18-2008 | 02:22 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

it is like a whitesh color i beleive or light blue its two stroke so i beleive its from the oil

Old 07-19-2008 | 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

color makes a diff.white. coolant leak into com.chamber,blk rich,all of a sudden,needle+seat needed,flooding into engine+out the overflow leaking out the bottom of carb on to the ground,blue normal,if you get it too blue, it could run crappy.......also auto oiler? or are you mixing your self??if you try to mix in the bikes tank,major boo boo.

Old 07-19-2008 | 11:41 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

its autooiler and it is flooding really bad into the engine the air filter and the overflow valver i could't get it to start now lastnight so i dunno what i gotta do now im pretty sure it needs a needle and seat and i know it needs jetting adjustments but can those threee things cause all of this?

Old 07-19-2008 | 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

yes needle+seat on ebay will flood engine every time,if you try getting the fuel out of the engine,turn off fuel,take plug out,blow out,only turn gas on when your going to use, turn off when done..till you get your kit..............

Old 07-20-2008 | 01:59 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

ok one more thing my friend was trying to start it nonstop the other day prob pulled it at least 50 times i got him to stop but i took of carb today opened it up was gonnna clean the gas from engine and carb and re clean but the carb was full of the two cycle oil is that from trying to just start it or? is my oil setup gone bad if so im guessing i can get a block off kit and premix my gas but im not fpor sure yet

Old 07-20-2008 | 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

if its just oil+ no gas maybe your not getting gas,filter/pump,you said it ran fine until you filled it back up................if thats true clean out the entire fuel system,the gas you put in bad?????

Old 07-20-2008 | 11:41 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

well I cleaned the carb today real good with gas the plug and everything else cleaned it up put it back on started up half pull i still just need the needle an seatima buy a kit today but i noticed that when you turn the gas off and it starts to get low in the carb it runs much betterand takes off good its got like no low end power at all atm but lots of high end power so im oping that will fix it all thanks for all your help