Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Starter help on 99 Scrambler 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008 | 12:26 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Starter help on 99 Scrambler 400

Well,my starter has been off-and-on working then not working...no rhyme or reason. upon close inspection, the metal that goes between the 2 visible bolts from underneath is cracked...i assume this is either a mounting bracket, opr most likely the starter housing itself.

Ive read that these are a pain to get off the bike? Any suggestions on how to remove this starter?

What I'm seeing is this: (i know nothing about starters) there appears to be 2 halves of the starter that are rotating separately (due to broken metal). Once I get this thing off, I think I can have the metal welded together. If I dis-assemble the starter, is it obvious what the 'brushes' are and what to clean up? Really, any suggestions/tips will be super. If I cant remove, fix, and replace it, I'm going to buy a new one, but this one is only 9 months old...

thanks

Old 07-25-2008 | 10:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I used to stand on tail end,remove skid plate and remove 3 bolts on bracket to starter(back bolt pain in the a**,also 2 bolts in engine case below flywheel. I dont fight it any more! I just remove clutches,backing plate to gain access to bracket. But I have an atv lift and the tools to pull clutches,which make this job a little bit easier. When pulling starter out bendix will come also,check bendix for wear,clean/grease replace if bad. Hopefully just starter bracket cracked,cheap compared to cases. Have had customers leave back bracket bolt out,this could cause bracket to crack? Good luck

Old 07-27-2008 | 11:59 PM
|
Trailblazer

okay here's the deal...

I got it all off (somehow) and the main problem is that the bendix was sticking,as were one of the 2 brushes....as a result the brush is slightly worn, but not too bad. I lubed the brushes/springs and bendix with white lithium grease. Both are moving much better

Is there something else I should lube the bendix with?

Old 07-28-2008 | 12:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I have a "special" bendix grease in tubes,but any good lithium base grease will do.

Old 07-28-2008 | 01:10 AM
|
Trailblazer

THANKS. sounds like it's work. i ended up finding a rebuild kit for the starter brushes and such...only 20 bucks shipped, so while its torn down i guess i do that too....

Old 08-02-2008 | 09:35 PM
|
Trailblazer

i suspect that i am confused. i was under the impression that the bendix was in the starter housing...the big magnetic thing that slides out. guess not?

how do i get the bendix out to see if it's sticking? i assume i need to pull the recoil-start housing off?

will it hurt that i lubed the magnetic thing in the starter housing? it sure spins better now!

Old 08-02-2008 | 10:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Bendix in recoil housing,engages flywheel to start. Have to pull recoil housing to get starter out(2 bolts at bottom hold starter along with bracket at opposite end. Bendix should come out with starter,if not just pull out from back of housing,check/grease,replace if bad. Replace starter and bendix together through back side into recoil area. Easier if you pull skid plate.

Old 08-03-2008 | 01:12 AM
|
Trailblazer

im a bit confused. i did not remove the recoil housing to get starter out. i popped out 2 long bolts and 2 bolts holding it to the external mounting bracket. When I had the starter off, it didnt appear i could pull the bendix from there (the back)

After removing the recoil housng (what a PITA the bottom left bolt was!!), I see the bendix engaged with the flywheel. it doesnt disengage by hand...should it? i found a few metal shavings and what looked like a reaaaalllly small spring in the back side of the housing by the starter gear. Iseem to need to pull the flywheel to get to what i suspect is the bendix. someone mentioned a harmonic balancer puller (avail. at autozone) might work?

Old 08-03-2008 | 11:58 AM
|
Trailblazer

OKAY, i got the housing off, removed the flywheel with a harmonic balancer puller. bendix came right out

i soaked it for a bit,and now it opens and closes freely once in a while. i see the spring that i found in the housing....it looks like a very thin spring that wraps the entire circumference of the bendix, only visible when open? is that how it shoud be? right now theres 4 pieces of spring 1/4" in length not connected to anything- i assume this is what helps it retract?

thanks!

Old 08-03-2008 | 05:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Your coming along ok it seems,just spare any more grief and REPLACE bendix before it can damage stator(have seen counter weights fly apart and damage pulse coil and stator itself) After market bendix available (Brazilian) for about 100 bucks vs OEM for over 150. Now that flywheel off,repair or replace starter,install new bendix(grease ends and around plunging collar) then flywheel. Do this once and YOU wont forget how if there is a next time! Good luck