Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Voltage rectifer vs. LR83 module (4x4 related)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage rectifer vs. LR83 module (4x4 related)

I have been fighting with a 4x4 engagement problem for many days now. I have searched and read extensively on this and other boards - LOTS of good info, BTW. I've come a long way thanks to this, but am now stumped again.

I understand how the systems works, have checked voltages, switches, & resistances and everything now seems to check out. I get 12v coming from both wires going down to the coils; the switch cuts this voltage as it should. Resistance from both coils (after repairing the wires) reads 24 ohms - right on spec - so the coils are live. I injected voltage to the brown & gray wires to coils and they magnetize big time. I have even jumped this connection by running voltage to the grey wire and grounding the brown to the frame and they magnetize as well. I've checked many connections for shorts or poor connections and what I've checked seems OK. I've taken both hubs apart and verified everything is in order - no problems there. But the problem remains that the hub coils do not magnetize when everything is connected up again...

Now here's the interesting part. According to this post (page 3 for the conclusion) there is an LR83 module which provides several things (RPM sensor, rev limiter, ground for the hub coils, etc.). Great! Or so I thought. However, my 2001 does not HAVE an LR83 module (98s and older, I think is what I discovered) only a voltage rectifier, as per the Polaris fiche and my dealer. So now what? It seems that my coils are not being properly grounded, at least as far as I can tell. So my question is this: does anyone know where the hub coils are grounded? What replaces the function of the LR83 module, or at least the grounding operation in particular?

A HUGE thanks for any help anyone can provide! I'm really stuck!

-Brett

Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Geez, this seems to have stumped everyone else as well. I did find out some more info this afternoon. I visited my dealer again and they lent me their shop manual (I only had the Haynes or whatever it is) for the evening - nice guys. Anyway, you'll recall that I was hoping this LR83 voltage regulator/combo unit that 98s and earlier models have would fix my AWD problem, only to find out that was changed. What I found out this evening by reading the manual is this:

"It is important to note that a failed voltage regulator can prevent AWD engagement."

Quite the footnote. Anyway, it looks like I may still be on the right track. It's too bad I have to purchase the unit (electrical parts are non-returnable) to find out.

Just thought I would share my findings, and will continue to do so, in case someone else ever has this problem. I know I found this board to be a great help. Thanks to those who at least read my post. I will keep you updated if this does indeed solve the problem.

-Brett

Old 08-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No idea where the hubs ground but if all the wires and switches are good as you say, then I guess you're on the right track with the voltage regulator. I remember decades ago someone telling my dad he needed to get a spare one for his pickup truck because they blow all the time. He bought a spare and never needed it. I hope you don't buy one and not need it too. Good luck Brett.

Frank

Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I borrowed a buddy's voltage regulator from his 99 Sportsman 500 and there was no difference. No coil activation at all. Apparently it is not the rectifier/regulator. I tested a ~12v with everything off and approx 14v when revving (if I remember correctly). This was the same as his, which has no charging problems or anything. Sigh.................

I guess I will try the "work-around" - grounding one of the wires at the speedometer that was recently posted here. I will have to review that post to get things straight. Crap! I thought for sure that rectifier would be the problem! It is starting to seem like a bad speedo... any more input?

-Brett

Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was able to get everything working - big relief!

All I did was ground the brown/white wire that comes from the 2 hub coils and goes to the speedo (they eventually join to become 1). After that everything worked, including the disengage in forward vs. neutral/revserse, AWD switch & the AWD light. As far as I can tell the only thing missing is the rev cap for engagement - that will have to be the riders discretion. Not a big deal for most. But it all was the fault of a bad ground... the speedo must be at fault.

At any rate, looking forward to putting it all back together and going for a ride! First time in WAY too long.

-Brett