Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator-good reliability and a good ATV? Am new to

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator-good reliability and a good ATV? Am new to

the atv market and am looking for a good used quad somewhere between the 400 size and up. I always like the Predator for some reason, but have no idea on reliablity and comparison with other mfg's. Like any used atv I am concerned about how it was maintained prior to my ownership, but in general how has the Predator stacked up against the competition over the past several years?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant say much about the competition never really kept up with all that. However I can say that I own an 03 and havent had a single problem with it. Many complain about tranny issues and what not on the 03 but mines shifts smooth as butter and havent had any problems. It is a very stable, very fast machine. I like the feel of the 400ex's a little more but I am 5'6" and 160 lbs. so I find I can throw it around a little better than I can the Predator but the 400 doesnt compare to power, or hill climbing ability.

The newer sport quads are so light with lots of power I find that the front end is up in the air half the time so they have no control. I'm sure you'll get some differing opinions on here so read em over and decide for yourself. I can tell you I never walked out of the woods cause my Preddy left me.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

The 500cc Predator is a ok quad that fit a nich that Polaris never had at the time of its introduction but with that said there are deff better quads to be had such as the Honda 400ex or the Suzuki Z400 both are much better quads with better handeling and longjevity not to mention better aftermarket support.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Forgot to tell you my buddys story. He bought an 05 used and it has been the machine from hell.

He has replace:

1. Cams
2. Timing Chain
3. Timing Chain Tensioner
4. Piston and Rings
5. Front Hub -ear broke off
6. Throttle Cable
7. Choke Cable
8. Rebuilt Carb -pieces cause he couldnt find a rebuild kit
9. Tie Rods and Tie Rod Ends
10. A-arm Bushings
11. Front Right Shock -eye broke off
12. Wheel Bearings

and maybe some other stuff but this is what I remember. Moral of the story is if you buy used go over it with a fine toothed comb. You never know what your gonna get. His was bought off a farmer he found on Craigs List and the guy seem like he was a good hardworking guy. Well when he got it home he found out the guy had it set in time but after running about 45 secs. it would jump time and shut off. He knew it would run just long enough that it sounded good then shut it off saying he didnt want the neighbors calling the cops about the noise. For the money he has in it now he could have bought a newer model in a lot better shape. I don't however blame this on the machine but on rider error and lack of maintenance from the original owner!

Lesson Learned

Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

The predator is a good quad but the kfx 700 is also worth checking out.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

If you want reliability, the 400ex would be the one. If you want something a little quicker the z/kfx/dvx 400 would be the one. Predator isn't a bad quad. My nephew had one. But the suspension on a later model z is much better for the tracks if you ride there.

What kind of price range are you looking in?

Rowe, did your friend not even take it for a ride?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

I love my 03 Predator but it beats the crap out of me on the washboard corridors in Wisconsin. They do smooth out after you pass 50mph though. LOL

I have had minor issues with mine but nothing Polaris didn't take care of other then my 03 Tranny being a pain in the butt to find neutral.

I'm pro Honda in everything except ATVs. I will stick with Polaris in this category. as far as this reliability crap others brag about, our 00 Sportsman 335 has been running flawlessly for 8 years. Time for a tuneup and fluid flush but that's all. Remember all of us know people with unreliable models even Honda ATVs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thinks to make note of are the following
The first year or two had longer swing arms
05 and up come with reverse.

Yes some of the other companies have a lot more aftermarket performance parts but the Predator was built right the first time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Sorry went for a ride and had more fun on it then I ever had. Even threw it in a huge mud hole and made it through, It may have been sideways flinging mud everywhere but it made it. LOL

I can't say much on long term even though it's an 03 because I haven't even put 50 hours on it yet. it sat far too much the first 4 years!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

No Scooter he never rode it. Drove 3 hrs. to get it and checked it all over. Seemed good, everything was tight, wheel bearing had a little play and so did the tie rod ends so he knew they would need replaced.

When asking the guy to ride it, he said normally he would but it was Sunday and was about 9 pm. and he didnt want the neighbors calling the cops. The bike was his daughters boyfriends who quit making payments so the dad took the bike off him. Said he used to tear up the neighborhood all the time and the neighbors were always calling the cops. I know long story and theres a whole lot more but to answer your question, NO he didnt ride it and sure did pay for it. Like I said before a hard lesson learned fast!!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know what some of these guys are smoking stating that a 400 dvx or whatever is quicker is news to me. I've owned a 05 pred since new and have no problem running with the 450's and 700 raptors. Don't get me wrong the 400 machines are great. I have put on a leo vince pipe and dyno jet/needle. Wore out the stock tires and replaced with gncc's. I had the shocks rebuilt for around $150.00 and it rides like new again. It's been a dependable machine but I also change the oil aprox. 10-20hrs of riding depending on how hard I ride it.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Cutfoot

I don't know what some of these guys are smoking stating that a 400 dvx or whatever is quicker is news to me. I've owned a 05 pred since new and have no problem running with the 450's and 700 raptors. Don't get me wrong the 400 machines are great. I have put on a leo vince pipe and dyno jet/needle. Wore out the stock tires and replaced with gncc's. I had the shocks rebuilt for around $150.00 and it rides like new again. It's been a dependable machine but I also change the oil aprox. 10-20hrs of riding depending on how hard I ride it.</end quote></div>

Realy are you sure as that is news to me a 500 running with 700. Come on now I think tat even the new guy on the form is going to now better than that.

Quick Reply: Predator-good reliability and a good ATV? Am new to