Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

spark plug issue in middle of ride.....any help will be appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug issue in middle of ride.....any help will be appreciated

so today i went on my first little ride with a few friends. about a few hours of riding i shut my quad off while waiting for someone to pull me out because i was stuck (it wasn't a bad stuck, just in a creek about 5-7 inches deep nothing around my motor or anything it was just nasty sand). well after i winched out my bike wouldn't start. after getting towed back to a buddies house we noticed the spark plug was fowled out (but i just replaced it maybe a week or so ago) the guys i were riding with and also my father in-law think it may be getting to much oil due to a lot of idling around. so my first question is: is there a way to limit the oil that mixes with the gas? second question is: does anyone else have any other possible ideas.

please let me know what could help my situation!!

thanks

Old 11-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have the correct heat range plug for the Quad?
....Caper.......

Old 11-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

OIL FOULING is usually not the problem,but gas fouling! Check/replace needle and seat,check reeds for cracks/damage,Also is compression good? Air filter/prefilter? dirty? Can contribute to . Correct plug BR8ES NGK

Old 11-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: old polaris tech

OIL FOULING is usually not the problem,but gas fouling! Check/replace needle and seat,check reeds for cracks/damage,Also is compression good? Air filter/prefilter? dirty? Can contribute to . Correct plug BR8ES NGK</end quote></div>

unfortunately that is not easy for me to understand, anyway to brake that down in easier terms?

Old 11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

did you replace the plug with a ngk or a champion if you used a champion you just asked for a fouling out always keep an extra plug with your machine at all times.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DBOSWAN

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: old polaris tech

OIL FOULING is usually not the problem,but gas fouling! Check/replace needle and seat,check reeds for cracks/damage,Also is compression good? Air filter/prefilter? dirty? Can contribute to . Correct plug BR8ES NGK</end quote></div>

unfortunately that is not easy for me to understand, anyway to brake that down in easier terms?</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]At low speeds 2-stroke engines reguardles whether oil injected or premixed will not burn all accumulated fuel/oil mixture and will collect on spark plug and eventually foul! Most people just assume its oil related only,but dont realize its a combination of both! Polaris oil pumps are a variable type and pump oil at about 50-1 ratio whether idling or full throttle. At higher speeds,usually able to burn this mixture ,BUT all 2-strokes usually need plug replacements before their 4 -stroke counterparts just because of their design! MOST of my hunters and farmers that still own them carry spare plugs! Just the nature of the beast! We also sell hi performance KTM and HUSKY motorcycles and the same applies to them also! If you just cow trail along,plug fouling is a common occurance,not anything wrong unless jetting on the rich side,air filters dirty,etc. The same applies for Polaris 2-strokes whether 250,300,350,or the 400. I have had customers complain about the same thing,BUT when I get to the story of their problem its usually same as yours,I was just putting around or cow trailing!The only time to worry about plug fouling, IF jetting is correct, air filters clean,correct oil(tcw3 rating at least should say for PREMIX applications,smokeless or whatever) Is if plug fouling continuous at all speeds,as this could be early indication of topend wear,lower compression,not able to have enough compression to compress fuel/oil mixture to burn readily,also loosing compression at crank seals which does the same thing! Just carry a spare to change on the trail,and just keep having fun!!!!! opt

Old 11-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

i had the ngk plug, thats what my buddy said to me that i was riding with he thought it was because i was just traveling at low speeds. the trails were closed at the national forest so we were making our own trails at a friends house. thanks again for all the help

Old 11-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Like OPT said, you really can't put around on a 2 stroke. They aren't made for it. Once the engine is slightly warmed up, you need to get on the throttle and clear it out. You can tell when it clears out because the throttle response and exhaust note will be much improved. When you are riding slow, goose the throttle from time to time.

With any 2 stroke, if you need to sit still for a while, simply shut it off. You have electric start, so why waste the gas?

At any rate, several years back, I had a Splitfire plug just "Die" on me on a trail. I never sit and idle, so that wasn't it. It was woods trails, so I wasn't abusing it, or being to easy...it just died. I pulled the plug and it looked fine. I swapped it out for the standard NGK (I carry a spare in the back storage tube) and it ran perfect.

When I got home, I polished up the Splitfire and put it back in. It still would not work, so I tossed it. I now run NGKBR8EIX plugs - same as stock, except they are iridium (Requires much less voltage to fire and is harder to foul). I have never had another plug just die.